Chapter 61: V for Virgin

"Miss Darling."

Wendy jerked awake. Master Cogsworth was staring at her. Irritably, he tapped his desk. Embarrassed to be caught dozing, Wendy smoothed back her ponytail as Master Cogsworth gestured to the Headmaster's Office.

"Headmaster will see you now young lady."

"Thank you."

Wendy rose. Fingering her backpack straps, she passed Masters Donald and Goofy. They were arguing how to start the coffee maker. Squeezing by, she opened the Headmaster's office door.

"...and you can come see it any time, Belle."

Wendy paused. Headmaster Mickey was placing a glass lid over Belle's enchanted rose. Belle looked dubious, but nodded dutifully as the headmaster released the delicate lid.

"I don't mind at all." Belle said, adjusting books under her arm. "...if you think it will help, Headmaster."

"I do." Headmaster Mickey said, eyeing Wendy at the door. Belle turned as he waved Wendy inside. Congenially, the headmaster escorted Belle to the door. "I can't tell ya exactly why, but you can bet the rose will help."

Belle nodded, despite Headmaster Mickey's allusiveness. Glancing once more at her enchanted rose, she departed. "Thank you Headmaster."

"Have a wonderful day, Belle. And thank you, again. Ah...Wendy." Headmaster Mickey shut the door. "Have a seat."

"The shadow?" Wendy guessed, seating herself across the headmaster's desk. Her sewing basket was placed in clear view, right beside Belle's enchanted rose.

Suddenly, Wendy noticed that the rose was wilting. Three petals had already fallen from the sepal.

"What is the rose for?" she asked with uncharacteristic inquisitiveness.

Headmaster Mickey paused. His hand hovered over the sewing basket. His eyes flickered over the enchanted rose.

"Maintenance." he finally said.

Wendy rubbed her backpack strap. "I'm sorry." she said as Headmaster Mickey brought the sewing basket around his desk. "I didn't mean to pry."

"Not at all." Headmaster Mickey said, handing Wendy the sewing basket. He stood in front of the rose, blocking it from view. "It was a good simple question, with a simple answer. No harm. No foul. But now..."

Headmaster Mickey lowered his nose. Wendy shifted. The headmaster seemed to be scrutinizing her over a pair of invisible glasses.

Guiltily, Wendy fingered the sewing basket. "I'm...I'm sorry that I didn't come back yesterday." She looked down so the headmaster wouldn't see her blush. "I couldn't find Peter."

"We can have you try sewing Mr. Pan's shadow at any time." Headmaster Mickey tilted his head, trying to force eye contact. "I just wanted to ask how you are doing?"

Wendy squeezed the basket. She started to turn red, embarrassed by yesterday's pool incident. "I'm fine." she said innocently as possibly. "Perfectly....How...are you?"

Headmaster Mickey raised an eyebrow. "You're sure?"

"Yes."

"Nothing you want to tell me?"

Wendy's foot started to tap. Peter's shadow started to tap simultaneously against the sewing basket. "No. Everything is fine...Headmaster."

"Hmmmm." Headmaster Mickey cocked his folded arms. After a moment of silent debate, he leaned off the desk. "Wendy – "