Chapter 91: Mr. Darling's Worst Memory

"Get OFF!"

Peter lunged, trying to climb over the pirates. Captain Hook dragged Wendy just outside his reach. "Get off of her! GET OFF! AH!"

Peter buckled, holding his head. The pirates laughed as Facilier's shadow sliced in and out of his soul. Heckled pink, they made sport of it – allowing Peter to dart for Wendy and watching him collapse when Facilier's shadow caught up.

The game ended at the foot of the stairs. Soul ripped apart, Peter slumped into the pirates. Ropes sprang out of nowhere and cut deep into his skin. Suddenly, one rope pulled, burning like a flame against his throat.

Head forced up, Peter screamed as he and Wendy were hurled into the kitchen.

Facilier was there, shadow perched on his shoulder like a vulture. Facilier smirked, watching Peter struggle as pirates cleared the table. Rum bottles smashed to the floor, exploding as Captain Hook lifted Wendy and threw her onto the table.

Wendy slammed onto her back. She kicked, trying to sit up. Like a hunted fawn, she searched for Peter. But the pirates pulled her back down, laughing.

"No!" Peter strained as Wendy's arms and legs were pinned to the table. "No! No! No! Let her go! Get off of her – "

Captain Hook looked at Peter. Their eyes locked. Then, with a wicked smile, the pirate lifted his hook and headed for Wendy.

"NO!" Peter fought. With agonizing effort, he lifted from the ground. His toes skimmed broken bottles as he tried to reach Wendy. "GET OFF OF HER NOW YOU FILTHY STINKING CODFISH!"

Captain Hook paused. Without looking back, he ran a hand through Wendy's hair. "Someone. Silence the flying rat."

Facilier smiled. He lifted a hand. Snap.

Peter careened backwards, slamming into the counter-top as Facilier's shadow burrowed into him. Screaming, Peter scraped along the wall, dangling from the shadow like a puppet.

"Peter!" Wendy cried. Captain Hook's fingers bled into her eyes. "Peter! Stop! Stop! Peter think of a happy thought! Shadows can't fight happy thoughts – "

"—Shad up!"

A hand walloped into her face. The bruises inflated the pain. Wendy felt like she was under a blowtorch.

Again and again the hand hit her, forcing her to look away from Peter.

Soon they were both screaming. Screaming for each other.

"Stop."

Wendy gasped. The pirates held her down, but Wendy could not have moved if she tried. Choking on tears, she opened her eyes. A man stood over her, arm raised.

It was her father.

"My, my. A father beating his daughter. How terribly tragic." Captain Hook's voice was velvety and calm. Still, Wendy flinched when he touched her. "Not to fret, my Dear. Not to fret. It's the rum you see. The rum…is magical."

Wendy stared. Her heart broke as a pirate pulled her father away. Mr. Darling objected, wiping the alcohol stains from his sleeve and ogling at her with manic, cursed eyes.

"I feed the rum to my crew." Captain Hook continued, playing with Wendy's hair ribbon. He smoothed a thumb over the blue fabric. "It fogs the mind's executives and excites one's propensity for violence. Anger. Fear. Hate. Just like…a shadow."

Gruffly, the pirates forced Mr. Darling into a chair. His arms were bound. A bag was pulled over his face.

Behind him, Facilier approached. Peter dragged behind, half-digested by Facilier's shadow.