Chapter 68: So Close

Jim walked into the dance. Blood pounded in his ears. His heart dragged beneath the floor.

He felt caught, propelled by an impossible dream and unwilling to believe that all he desired was all he deserved.

Unable to breath, Jim looked at Ariel.

She was already looking at him.

Then, song lyrics bled softly into the tender instrumental as Jim approached the girl in another man's arms.

You're in my arms...

And all the world is calm...

"Hey."

Ariel stopped.

Eric turned. His crystal blue eyes clouded under thick, black eyebrows. "Hawkins. What do you want?"

The music playing on for only two...

Jim shook his head. He swallowed. He couldn't speak.

He could only stare at Ariel.

Eric frowned, guessing Jim's intent. Territorially, he took Ariel's waist. "Get out of here, Hawkins. Bet's a bet. You lost the fight."

Ariel spoke.

"But I didn't."

Never looking away from Jim, Ariel removed Eric's hand from her waist, leaving him to be saved by Alana.

So close, together...

Ariel took Jim in her arms.

And when I'm with you...

Jim's eyes brimmed with tears. 

"Why?" he whispered. "Why me?"

Ariel pressed her heartbeat against Jim. She touched his cheek, brushing the shadows from his eyes. "Because I want to be part of your world."

So close, to feeling alive...

Jim smiled. Holding Ariel against him, he twirled her into the night.

Wendy smiled, contentedly. "At last."

Gently backing through the sheer drapes, she departed to the balcony. Above, the Wishing Star twinkled. Hanging by a celestial thread, it waved across the midnight tapestry, in time with the music.

A life goes by...

Wendy sighed. A tiny, regretful feeling stung her as she gazed into Fantasia.

Romantic dreams must die...

Lost in her thoughts, Wendy closed her eyes. Absentmindedly, she slowly swayed to the music.

So I bid mine goodbye...

Wendy jumped. The clasp to her purse shook as Peter's shadow rustled, begging to be let out.

And never knew....

Sympathetically, Wendy smiled. Donning her thimble, she unlatched the clutch and released Peter's shadow.

Fluttering like black silk, the shadow slunk onto the balcony. It shuddered away it's wrinkles.

Then, it turned to Wendy.

So close, was waiting...

Extending a hand, the shadow bowed.

Waiting here with you...

Wendy smiled, unbelieving. But, she curtsied. Thimble gleaming, she accepted the shadow's hand...

And now, forever, I know...