Chapter 71: True Love

"Jim!"

Wendy stumbled into the Benbow – what remained of it. The frames were half rebuilt and smelled of smoke.

Soggy charcoal colored her palms black as Wendy collapsed.

Huddling against a burned corner, she nursed a bleeding lip and swollen cheekbone. Everything throbbed – her face, her chest, her arm. Looking down, Wendy's stomach flip-flopped at the fat bruises bubbling under her arm.

Panicking, Wendy closed her eyes. She leaned backwards, gulping the sea air. With every calming breath, the violent incident avalanched into Wendy's head.

Her father...was helping the pirate...and Maleficent.

Her father...had hurt her. Her father...was...he was...

"Jim..." Wendy called feebly. She started to shake. "...Michael...Jim...Someone...Anyone..."

I know the families are gone! Wendy felt sick remembering her father's words. Soon to be dead!

"...help." Wendy squeezed her eyes shut. Tears leaked. Uncontrollably, she started to sob. "...J—Jim..."

But Jim had long left the Benbow. Searching and finding it empty, he'd abandoned all hope of recovering Michael Darling or his mother.

Overwhelmed with anger with nowhere to go, he ran. Trying – in vain – to outpace his anger, Jim ran until he collapsed upon the shore.

After, he didn't move. He just sat, frozen, glaring into the ocean. Hours passed and the tide caught up with Jim, sweeping in and out.

Jim did not move. He hardly seemed to notice the water pushing and pulling the sand between his fingers and soaked boots.

He did not even notice Ariel.

Drained by her own anger, Ariel saw Jim – a lonely, hunched statue eroded by the tide. Ariel bit back tears – he looked hopeless as she felt.

Without a word, Ariel dropped her trident in the sand. She stepped into the ocean.

She sank next to Jim. Her body fit next to his like a missing piece.

And slowly...very slowly...Ariel felt Jim's hand curl around her own.

It was the spark of hope that Ariel needed. To feel strong. To feel brave. To feel...loved.

Smiling, Ariel leaned against Jim's shoulder. Her hair tumbled over his back and into the rushing tide like a red waterfall.

Then, Jim turned his head. Like a pendulum's downward stroke, Jim curled over Ariel and eased her into the ocean.

He gazed into her deep blue eyes as red hair rippled against the tide about Ariel's beautiful face.

For one, pure moment they looked. Like stargazers, enchanted by unreachable heavens.

Then, holding her head in his hands, Jim gave Ariel true love's kiss.