Chapter 96: Jim the Pirate

"…Chosen Three!"

Jim lifted his eyes. Ursula's tentacles constricted about his throat as Captain Hook stormed across the deck. Silver followed, a grimace pulling his metal implants. Head throbbing, Jim glared at Silver. The cyborg averted eye contact, but took him gruffly from Ursula. Without pause, Silver lifted Jim and slammed him against the mast.

Jim yelled. Pain ground his head as the cuts from the glass reopened. Tilting back his neck to breath, Jim stared into Silver's red eye.

Silver stared back. Emotionless. Cold. Robotic. Cyborg.

Jim breathed. Laboriously. Painfully. Then, filling his sore lungs he whispered at the man…no the cyborg…that he had trusted with all his heart. All his soul.

"I hate you."

Silver hadn't time to react. But as Captain Hook clenched Jim's throat, Silver hunched away, holding his chest.

"Chosen Three!" Captain Hook thrust his hook against Jim's stomach. The point angled until the skin was taught. "Chosen Three! A girl, born on the autumnal equinox with a magical needle to unstitch the Wishing Star's celestial thread! A boy born on the winter solstice with a map that charts the path to the Wishing Star. And another boy —"

Jim shouted. He crouched, lifting his knees as his skin started to rip beneath the hook.

"—born on March twenty first." continued Hook, turning his hook into Jim's naval, "—a boy that can fly to the Wishing Star. Three. The Chosen THREE!"

Captain Hook released. Jim fell. He hit the deck, buckled over his stomach.

"So…" Captain Hook growled, watching impassively as Ursula braided her tentacles around Jim. "…,so this is what is going to happen…Jim Hawkins."

Kneeling, Captain Hook took Jim's right hand. He held it by the wrist, letting the starlight paint his fingers white. "Mr. Pan will….escort Miss Wendy to the Wishing Star…"

The captain lifted his hook. Gently, he placed the tip atop Jim's middle finger.

"Then….Miss Wendy will break the Wishing Star….

The hook pressed down. A prick of blood bubbled beneath the point.

"..and you…" said Captain Hook. The drop of blood slid down Jim's palm. "…will supply the coordinates. You…Jim Hawkins…"

Slowly, Captain Hook drew down, tearing Jim's skin. "…you will orchestrate my plan. You will tell Miss Wendy and Mr. Pan exactly what to do. Step…"

Skin split down Jim's middle finger.

"…by step…"

Red fibers and white tendons popped out of place.

"..by step."

Jim screamed. Blood gushed from his finger and reflected off the silver hook.

"ARGH!" Jim writhed. He thrashed, pulling against Ursula's tentacles and staring, horrified, at the hook ripping his hand apart. "NEVER!" he yelled, words amorphous and wild. "NEVER! FUCK OFF! FU – ARGHHHHHHHHHH!"

Captain Hook pulled. The hook caught, then ripped a red line down his middle finger, palm, and wrist. Jim screamed so loud the stars quavered and the ocean wailed.

"You will do as I say!" Captain Hook hissed. Incensed, he threw Jim. Blood splattered onto the deck, speckling Jim as his hand hung uselessly in the starlight. "Because I have marked you Jim Hawkins with the mark of allegiance. The mark of a pirate. Now and forever – Jim Hawkins – in your hand you hold the pirate's brand!"

Jim hacked, trying to breath. Trembling with pain and rage, he clutched his wrist. The red gash glittered against his tendons and bones. Blood spiraled down his arm, encrypting his doom.

"Never." Jim turned. His eyes smoldered. Protectively he held his hand, growling like an injured wolf. "Never. You'll never kill me. You'll never kill Pan. You'll never kill Wendy." Jim raised his bleeding hand. Bitterly, he hit is chest. "Because we're the Chosen Three. You need us. You need us to take Fantasia."

Behind Captain Hook, Silver smiled.

But Captain Hook, was ready.

"But...I don't need Ariel."

Jim froze. Without breathing, he stood. "…what?"

Captain Hook unsheathed his sword. Venomously, he paced around Jim. "Master Silver tells me you have a…soft spot for the little mermaid."

Jim limped forward. His wounds screamed as Ursula's tentacles darted at his ankles. "Liar. You're a liar. You don't have Ariel. She – "

Jim was thrown off his feet. Strangled by Ursula, Jim thrashed as the seawitch suspended him over the ocean. Brittle sea air cut into his face with every gust of spray. Below him the ocean seethed, gorging itself like a grey monster.

And below the surface, were black shadows. Slicing in and out of the waves, the undersea creatures emerged. A monstrous whale, teeth red with blood. And six mermaids – Ariel's cousins.

Then Jim's stomach lurched.

Lana twirled out of the ocean.

In her hand…was the trident.

"Ariel…" Jim whispered as Captain Hook's hand closed around his face. "…Ariel."