Chapter 119: Peter's Proposal

"Peter...?"

Peter took Wendy's hand. It was trembling. Gently, he placed the other on her stomach.

"Don't freak out." Peter grinned, expression scintillating. He was exhilarated and unable to hide it. "This is a proposal."

Wendy felt everything inside her swoop up and over the Wishing Star. Peter's fingers burned against her palm. "What?"

"Wendy. Wendy Darling....Shadow worker, pirate killer, Fantasia saver, pre-health major, story writer, over achiever, blue eyed blabber mouth, big sister, best friend, and all around damsel in distress..."

Wendy raised an eyebrow.

Heedless, Peter's voice pranced up and down. "...I remember the first time I saw you. I remember the first time you ran away from me. I remember every time I tried to talk to you and I remember being scared out of my mind. I remember every second I craved your attention and I remember hating myself for the tricks I played to get it. I remember thinking of you in every thought...happy or sad. Just so I could protect you in my nightmares and see you in my dreams. Wendy..."

Peter's voice dropped. He squeezed her hand. "...I remember wanting you..."

He drew the other hand. He brought it to hers. "...I remember needing you..."

Peter held Wendy's hand between both of his. But still they shook. Struggling to breath, Peter clenched Wendy's little hands, probing for the strength he needed to ask her a question.

"Wendy..." Peter closed his eyes. He bowed his head. And he lay it against Wendy.

"Wendy. Marry me."

Silence.

And in the silence, Peter and Wendy shared a single unhappy thought.

"...Peter..."

"Before you say no –" Peter spoke quickly, trying to catch the moment before it slipped away. "—Wendy please before you say no, look. Just look at me – " Desperately Peter lifted his elvin face. "Just look at me and think. Think before you say no to me. Please."

Helpless Wendy shook her head, trying to unfasten Peter's gaze. Because she was thinking. And the thoughts horrified her. They horrified her because each time, the thoughts danced through her heart and sprinted up her tongue to tell Peter yes.

"We...can't."

Peter hardened. He squeezed Wendy's hands. "Why not. It makes sense. Neither of us has a family."

"Peter – "

"No parents. No adults. No grown ups. None of us have them. Your brothers. My friends – the orphanage lost boys and lost girls. YouMe."

"Peter – "

"And I have an idea! We can all be a family! Like your story remember – Neverland? We can make a whole new family! You and me, Wendy. I'll be the father – "

Wendy faltered, overwhelmed by Peter's momentum. "—Peter –"

"—and you'll be the mother!"

"—oh Peter," Wendy tried to shy away. Peter pulled her back. Flushed, she fell into his gaze. "—Peter stop, oh please you mustn't – "

"Say yes." Peter urged. He pressed Wendy's hand to his chest and gouged her with every word. "Say yes and I'll protect you. Say yes and I will give you forever of me. Say yes and I...I will be your family."