Chapter 35: War Games (Ariel)

This is real. This is barbaric. This is real.

They're trying to kill me.

Ariel sprinted through the forest. Frozen students gaped at her like horrified, icy blue statues. Aurora. Prince. Charlotte. Milo. Alice. Tigerlily. Naveen. JaneBelle. Taran. Ariel winced. Alana, the gentlest Triton sister, clutching her stomach.

Gripping the trident, Ariel forced herself not to look back at the frozen, painful expressions.

ZING! A golden arrow sliced a hair's breath from her abdomen. Robin Hood.

WACK-A-TACK! A glass slipper with a lethal heel boomeranged around her legs. Cinderella.

WHOOSH! A magic carpet fluttered overhead like a vampire bat. Jasmine.

SILENCE. Ariel glimpsed Wendy's curly pony tail. She called the girl's name but her voice vanished. Kocoum.

Veering sharply, Ariel switched directions, chasing Wendy.

"Ariel!"

Ariel kept running. The voice called again.

"Ariel! Ariel! Stop! You're going to wrong way!"

No I'm not. I know exactly where I'm going. Wendy went this way. Ariel heard rasping breaths behind her as the voice kept calling, insisting on her mistake.

"Ariel! Stop! That's the wrong way!"

Ariel's thoughts came sluggishly. Her brain felt like slush. Maybe...maybe I am going the wrong way. Gradually, Ariel slowed to a trot.

"Ariel." The voice behind her was smooth as cream. "Ariel. Trust me. You are going the wrong way. And that trident: Ariel you don't want that trident."

Ariel stopped. The voice was right. She was going the wrong way. Relieved, Ariel turned, to ask the voice which way she should go.

"The trident, Ariel." Side stepping from the nettles, tall and regal as the dark trees he hid behind, was Hans. Smiling, Hans nodded at the trident. "Remember. You don't need it anymore."

Ariel nodded. Kneeling, she placed the golden trident in the shadowy underbrush.

"Good girl." Hans extended a hand. "Here Ariel. Let me help you up. Take my hand."

What a gentleman Ariel thought. Dismissing the alarm itching the recess of her mind, Ariel reached for Hans.

"Ariel! NO!" Someone was crashing through the forest. "Ariel! His magical power! It makes you believe his lies!"

Ariel blinked. "Eric?"

"Hold on!" Eric yelled, holding his steering wheel and turning it ninety degrees.

The world turned upside down. The earth back flipped over the sky. Ariel somersaulted as gravity wrenched her in grotesque directions. She felt sick.

Suddenly, the world turned upright. Ariel fell. Moss and needles crunched under her back. Roots stuck into her spine. The trident gleamed under her elbow.

Suddenly, Hans was on top of her. His white hands shot into her face.

Without thinking, Ariel swung the trident.

Blood spurted from Hans' palms. Hans screamed like a tortured animal as Eric attacked. Terrified, Ariel leapt to her feet. She ran, following Wendy's path. The tip of the trident dripped red.