Outer Space? Carry On

When Calum Hood returns from his outer space mission for NASA it's clear something's not right.
Something happened on Mission Eastbound Phoenix, but he won't tell anyone. Not even his husband.

And when the nightmares come, Ashton isn't prepared for what follows.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

The crackle of a vintage radio on the polish marble counter echoed through the small retro diner, groups of people were seated at booths, some at the counter with coffee and cake. All from young and old, gathered together at the same moment of time; different paths divulging into one.

Ashton Irwin smiled at the owner of the Rosalind Diner as she handed him a plated burger with the lot.

"Table six, thanks hun." Cheryl passed him the cola drink table six ordered with their food as the radio show presenter changed.

"People of young and old, we've patched through to Houston! We'll be coming live from Venus in three, two, one!"

"Everybody shush!" Cheryl rushed over to the radio, white heels clacking against the polished floor as she left Ashton to finish the service. "Quiet! Quiet!"

Ashton offered a kind smile to the woman seated at table six, who in turn gave a 'thank you' back before everyone was looking towards Cheryl.

"-You're live Hood." A male voice crackled through the loud radio. "Time to let those people back home know what you see. Over."

"Roger that, Houston."

Ashton's heart fluttered and he stepped away from the table, hazel eyes briefly meeting with Cheryl's as the older woman hurriedly beckoned him closer; harsh whispers of "come on!" encouraging him.

"Gotta say, the universe looks mighty beautiful from here." One of two astronauts spoke and the whole world listened. "Almost as beautiful as my one and only back home."

Ashton couldn't help himself, hurrying to stand by Cheryl's side and get closer to the radio device; listening intently to the broadcast.
The team had made it. NASA had finally put humanity on Venus after hundreds of years of technology advancement. They'd done it.

"We've made a safe landing. Balancing O2 levels and stabilising anti-gravity. We got our antennas out and the water levels are fine. Mike's suited up and ready to go, I'll be passing the buck to him while I suit up. Over."

"Roger, Phoenix." NASA's communication replied. "We're about to make history."

Cheryl grinned, as excited as the rest of the diner. They had been waiting all day for this moment and now here it was; broadcasted across thousands of radios and televisions.
Most people would be at home watching on fancy screens or listening on their high tech stereos, but Cheryl had insisted on the classic style.

That's what people adored about the Rosalind Diner; it held the retro history from hundreds of years ago. An aesthetic that would never die so long as Cheryl and her family & friends lived on within the diner's walls.

Ashton held the fifty-three-year-old's hand, squeezing tight as his other hand fiddled anxiously with his silver heart necklace. Engraved on the back lay his husband's name, and the date they were wedded together in holy matrimony.

"Alright Houston, quick check how we looking?" The second astronaut within the Phoenix capsule spoke, the whole world on the edge of their seats; waiting.