Sacrificed

Loosely inspired by the Netflix Original series Stranger Things and the 2018 remake of It.

█║▌│║│║█║█║▌│█║▌│║│║█

A truck radio plays a crackle of an old folk song, acoustic guitar humming alongside bass and fingers tapping against the steering wheel against the beat.

"How long 'til the drop off?" Harvey Stark's low voice interrupted the quiet of the truck, calloused hands holding a map-guide instead of the usual calibre hand gun.

"'Bout forty miles." Damien Fiker replied, glancing in his rear view mirror. His eyebrows furrowed, brown orbs catching sight of two bright headlights glaring towards the back of his transport truck. "Weren't these roads shut off?"

"Yeah." Harvey turned the map around, boredly reading the street names to pass the time. "Boss said packages can't have interruptions."

"Did he give us backup or something?"

"Nah, hush hush deal." Harvey huffed when he failed trying to fold the map back up. He pulled it all back out again, crumpling paper bringing annoyance to the driver who swatted it away. "Hey! I'm try'na fold it, jeez."

Damien glanced back at the mirror. "There's a car behind us."

Harvey stopped messing with his map, his own gaze moving to the side-mirror with a hardened look of perplexity. "What the hell...? Who in their right mind travels this narrow-ass road at night?"

"Look, I dunno but it's-" Damien paused "Is it getting closer?"

"Uh...Yep." Harvey watched the glaring headlights grow brighter, a blaring car horn mocking them as a collision became inevitable. "Got your seatbelt on?"

Screeching metal collided together in the midst of the night, trees and shrubbery running for miles across an empty road leading to and from a small country town. Madness came and went within the blink of an eye, the car crashing into the truck's back and sending the truck veering into the trees.
A car horn beeped, wailing in and out of dying existence, the vehicle having swerved off the road as a consequence of a driver's conscious decision to crash. Blood gushed from the skull of a dead woman, the black car soon to be engulfed with flames by an engine purposely sabotaged by its own driver.

Harvey groaned, sitting up and gauging the damage done to the sturdy truck. His ears were ringing, vision blurry as his first instinct was to look over to his co-worker. Relief hit him in a missed breath when he heard Damien grunt; lifting his head from the steering wheel.

Blood pooled from a blackened eye, Damien's head turning as he shifted his body with a painful moan to see out the grated divider between the seats and the cargo cage behind them.

"Fuck..." He grunted, unbuckling his seatbelt which caused Harvey to do the same. "The cage's busted."

Harvey pushed at his car door, significantly better off from the crash than the driver. He chuckled, feeling giddy as an automatically subconscious response to the adrenalin rushing through his body. "Glad you had your seatbelt, huh?"

"Oh shut the fuck up." Damien grunted, shooting a glare Harvey's way.

Harvey laughed, only to cut himself short when his eyes fell upon the crashed car. His jaw dropped open, eyes wide with pure fear as he watched a large vicious creature tear open the door of the car.

Metal flew into the trees, its thudding noise of impact nothing compared to the horrific sounds of bones crunching through flesh being torn from the woman's body. Snarling echoed like thunder, the monster's claws digging at the body as the two men shared equally terrified looks.