Lost and Found

His smile was like the sun, undying, beautiful, a glory of brightness whose existence lit up the world beyond it.
Rays of golden danced through the soft white fabric of his clothes, a gentle breeze kissing his figure with a wisp of a touch as he spun senselessly through tall grass; flowers swayed only a few steps away in a bed of beauty.
He thought the world would be his to love forever, from the darkest moonlight cast over the sparkling ocean waves whose crashes against rocks would whisper the secrets of the sea to all who would listen, to the golden glow of sunlight against soft shades of life where the trees would sing along to the sound of birds and the flowers would dance to their tune.

He thought he would be alive long enough to watch the world grow as he grew old, his fraying hands clutching a tea cup filled with tea leaves and water, his eyes losing their shine yet clinging to the sunset and longing for the sunrise.

The day he met a kindred soul, a man whose love for the world stretched far beyond a little cottage on a hill hidden from cold eyes, Calum couldn't believe he had missed the harmony of a world beneath his hills of grass.

The touch of a soft hand in his own, a smile cast toward him with true love sparkling in hazel eyes, was warmth stronger than the sun. Beauty glistened like a glow of sunlight past the petals of a gentle rose, love and life sparkling from the youthful male who showed Calum there was more to flowers and teapots, there was a world beyond his garden, of growing fruit and bustling markets.

Marketplaces where little trinkets could be collected, where a small crochet frog was given to him by the hand and coin of his love, a frog he would treasure beyond his own life.
The taste of fresh fruit and the sound of laughter when it spilled from a greedy bite.
Joyful music one could dance to with a loving smile.

The world was bright with his heart on his sleeve, his adoration ignorant of the darkness in glaring eyes cast toward his love; of vicious hatred and burning rage so strong it blotted the sun's rays from the birth of such madness. The world was not as bright to those who cast a snarling rage toward true love, but for Calum he cared nothing of their darkened ways so long as his love encouraged him to seek the world beyond them.

Calum thought the world would live forever within his eyes, his existence would last decades to see the grass grow tall and flowers reach beyond their little white fences. To share tea in old age with his love beside him.
He believed his world would be forever beautiful.

But one day, it crumbled. Falling into a cruel darkness unlike the gentle midnight sky, a sense of loneliness and horror flooding the once glorious shine of the sun; clouds once white now blocking out their love with smudges of pitch black.

The world died the day he lost his truest love, the skies no longer sparkled like the secrets of the ocean, the flowers no longer bloomed. The sunrise became nothing more than another helpless, hopeless day, and the sunset felt like a cold goodbye. Life was never ending, a deep engrained depression filling his soul with a sludge so thick he could barely breath most days let alone pick up the soft white teapot one more time.

Everything was pain, agonising misery he couldn't escape. And no one cared. Not a soul reached for him, no hands tried to pull him from the dark.
Some days he wondered what worth the world had left for him.

They had taken everything from him, stolen the only sparkle of light he truly wished to hold close forever to his heart, and they cared not for his agony, for his tears of pleading sadness, for his hopeful shred of begging mercy. They turn their backs on him, the rise of wicked flames glowing within their cold eyes as they watched love burn like a wildfire spreading rapidly, mercilessly, through a ethereal forest.

They watched his world burn, hearing the screams of misery and pain and singing a praise to an existence of life beyond their world, beyond their universe, beyond their understanding. Their skies were dark unlike the brightness Calum had once shared, and they loathed all whose eyes could see the beauty they refused.