Chapter Twenty-Nine

St. Mungos Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries
London, England
Date: Sunday, 5th of April, 2020

"I would like to keep you for two more days. All for observation purposes."

Jenna groaned and rubbed her temples. Healer Murphy was unsettled about her current state. Her skin was no longer pale but as gray as the stormy sky. Murphy could tell it hurt the young girl to breathe let alone move. Whoever was out to get her had succeeded in hurting her.

Lucius nodded, "Of course, thank you, Healer Murphy." It took Murphy all of his might to contain the shocked expression he wanted to wear. Never had he ever heard Lucius Malfoy say "thank you".

With a nod, the young healer left the room. Narcissa was in Draco's old bed, their son being discharged earlier this morning. Anita had been free to return home as well, the nightshade not taking any effect on her.

"This is why he has no friends." Jenna huffed and crossed her arms dramatically. "I'm perfectly fine to return to the Manor with everyone else today."

"Not everyone." Lucius glanced at his wife, who had yet to wake up.

He heard his daughter sigh, "She's going to be alright." Lucius turned to see Jenna looking at her with concerned eyes. Watching Narcissa's chest move up and down with each breath she took. "She is just...sleeping."

"Naive of you to say." He responded sharply. "Wipe the pity from your face. Narcissa hates pity."

"You should remove the "I am an arse" tone from your voice. I believe she hates that as well." Jenna's response had been as cold as his.

"This is your fault." His tone was still calm. "They're after you, not us."

"Well, I didn't do anything to make them that way. Anything you would like to tell me?" Her voice was defensive. "I know I didn't come out of her womb shooting magic out of my fingers at people. That's not how it works, Mr. Malfoy."

  This was the Lucius Malfoy she had remembered. Cold as ice and nothing was his fault.

"Miss. DuBaer," Lucius warned. "I believe you should stop speaking for the time being."

Jenna huffed, "Whatever." She rolled onto her side away from Lucius. "I can't believe you put your pride before everything. We were slowly making our way forward. You just took four steps back."

"I do what I do to protect my family," Lucius stated his tone calm.

"And that's why you became a death eater?" Her tone was ice cold.

"At the time I joined the cause, the Dark Lord was at his most powerful." He sighed. "I foolishly believed that he was even more powerful than Albus Dumbledore."

His explanation made Jenna turn back toward him. Her brown eyes filled with curiosity and sadness. She pulled her knees to her chest and waited for him to continue. Her perfectly sculpted brows stayed in a furrowed position. Lucius couldn't help but smile at how much she looked like Narcissa when she was focused. Although, her current dark features made her look more like her aunts than any of them.

"I thought that I was on the winning side. We had all known there was going to be a war. What do you do when you are thrown into a life or death situation?" His question was honest.

"Plan out how you'll survive," Jenna answered without hesitation. "And that's what you did. For the time being, you had chosen the winning side."

He leaned heavily against his cane, "Or so I thought. By the time we wanted out, it was too late. Then, Harry Potter destroyed him. He was gone."