Chapter Thirty-Nine

Malfoy Manor
Wiltshire, England
Date: Friday, 24th of April, 2020

"But Jenna gets to."

Draco might as well have added a foot stomp at the end of his statement. This argument wasn't going to win itself. However, it didn't seem like he was going to win it either.

"Yes, and when your sister returns, she will get her arse handed to her."

Lucius slammed his fist onto the table for the room to go silent. The silverware rattled against the large dining table. Water and pumpkin juice spilled over the edge of the goblets they were using. He ignored his mother's flinch and Cygnus's surprised shout.

"Lucius, what on earth!?"

His mother's shriek barely reached his ears despite the volume. All of his thoughts were filled with Narcissa. The uniqueness of her dimples, the way her eyes still sparkled when she was angry, or how she always knew what to say to make him laugh.

"Your grandmother is right, Draco. If you pack a bag, you will be putting us through the same thing your sister is. As of right now, I view her as a disappointment. She left her family in a time of need. The Malfoys don't do such things."

"Lucius," Andromeda cut in. "you don't mean that. Please, say that you don't mean what you said."

His shoulders squared, and his back tensed. Someone was behind him. He closed his eyes and cursed Merlin's name under his breath.

"Don't make him say something he doesn't mean, Andy. You and I both know he wouldn't mean it."

Lucius stood and turned to face his daughter. His eyes widened at the sight of his daughter. Jenna was a strong girl, a brave one for her age. He knew enough to see that she channeled her trauma into something good. It caused her to strive and be humorous. His daughter was everything he wasn't.

"I see that you didn't bother to make yourself look presentable." He sneered.

Her mask of protection fell slightly. He smirked with satisfaction as she wasn't as hard to break as her aunt and mother. Jenna took the time to stand at full height and present herself in a larger-than-life way. Lucius noticed this and couldn't take her seriously.

  Her dark locks, that once competed with being as luscious as his, were frizzy and graying. The face that once held round, chubby cheeks was tired. Those same round cheeks were sunken in, and dark bags rimmed her eyes. His heart hurt for her as he knew it was the curse that was doing this to her.

"I would have, but I have no one I need to impress. I really shouldn't even be here. My parents taught me to stay six feet away from stupid because it's contagious. Riddle me this, is this six feet?"

  Her chin went out defiantly, the same way Cissa's did. Those dark orbs held a rebellious glint as a smirk settled on her lips. She had won the game.

"Everything is set up for the party. Andy, I did as you said and decorated it the same. All of the tables and chairs are placed the same way. I even found our seating chart from that day."

  Narcissa walked straight past their daughter and sat on the head of the table. Their son smiled as he had not seen his mother leave her room in over a week. After last night, Lucius couldn't believe she hadn't even noticed Jenna.