Chapter Forty

Malfoy Manor
Wiltshire, England
Date: Saturday, 25th of April, 2020

"Cissy, we need to talk."

  Narcissa sighed heavily and pulled her robe shut. It was an odd thing to do, considering her mother had seen her give birth more than once. Druella sat in one of the chairs near the bed while her daughter stood. She intended for the playing field to be equal, but Narcissa had other plans.

"What is there to talk about mother?"

"Was I terrible to you? As a child."

  Her breath hitched, and she took the seat across from Druella. She hadn't expected to get into this conversation so late at night. Well, Narcissa had never expected this conversation ever.

"Mother, I'm sure we have the same memories. I don't think you want to go down this path."

"Cissy, everything I did was for your own good."

"That can't be the excuse every time. Azkaban wasn't the only reason Bellatrix went insane, and you know it." A tear rolled down her cheek. "Deep down, you and father both know what happened to her wasn't her fault."

  Druella stood, unable to sit still. Her daughters, that she carried under her heart for nine months, didn't want her. Yes, she wasn't a hands-on mother. She often let the house-elves address scabbed knees and fears of the dark. That's what her mother did.

"Do you view her as more of a mother than me?"

Narcissa stood as well, "Don't ask questions you don't want the answers to."

  Her mother turned around and took a couple of steps forward. There was only a small gap between them. Narcissa could smell the scent of her mother's expensive Parisian perfume. A wave of nostalgia settled over her, and suddenly, she and her sisters were outside in the gardens again. Bellatrix often chased them down to the river. They would enjoy a nice swim before heading back. Andy would take the blame for it, even though they all knew it was Bella's doing. Eventually, both girls started to get punished for their antics.

"Do you love her more than me?"

  It was a simple question with a tricky answer. An answer that both women knew the answer to. Druella dared her youngest, her flower, to say it. She needed to hear it come from her before she believed it.

Narcissa made eye contact with her at last, "She has never let me fall."

  Her mother moved so fast that she expected to feel the harsh sting of a slap across her face. Druella and Cygnus never struck any of their children. Physical contact was too much for either one of them to do. However, it was never too late to break that rule.

  Much to Narcissa's surprise, a strike never came. Instead, both of Druella's cold hands cupped her cheeks. Her mother lowered her forehead against her's and cried. Her lips were pushed up against Narcissa's cheek as if making up for all of those times she didn't kiss her goodnight.

  Druella Black didn't give out affection easily. Her husband could count on one hand how many times she reached for him first. Yet, here she was holding her daughter, who seemed to be relaxing into her hold.

"I have never let you fall." She whispered against her skin.

  Druella wrapped her arms tightly around her daughter and brought her head under her chin. Narcissa could feel herself relax into the loving hold, but memories last a lifetime. As she closed her eyes, they seeped in one by one, destroying the moment.

She shook her head and pried herself from her mother's stronghold. "Tell that to the ground." Narcissa's lip quivered in fright. "And your wand."

The younger woman disappeared behind the door to her bedroom before anything else could be said. Druella felt her shoulders sag as warm tears sprang from her eyes. She collapsed into the same chair and sobbed continuously.