Chapter Thirty

DuBaer Residence
AutumnWood, Missouri
Date: Friday, September 28th, 2018

  A life of loneliness is greater than a life alone. Loneliness results in whether you're a part of something or not. Alone means, well, you're alone. There is nothing you can give and no one to give it to if you can.

"Jenna, you're up."

  Jenna quickly closed her diary. A cool and collected smile was placed on her face as she greeted her father. A man of great power who commanded respect. His warm smile eased her racing heart. The humor she saw in his big hazel eyes made her smile real and true.

"Sorry," she made room for him. "I have an essay due Tuesday that I'm trying to get out of the way."

"Do not be sorry." Peter DuBaer sat at the edge of his daughter's bed. "What book is it over? To Kill a Mockingbird? The Great Gatsby?"

She laughed, "Harper Lee and F. Scott Fitzgerald are people I have yet to meet." Jenna shook her head at the face her father made. "It's a random essay over a random scenario, pops. Something I can bs in thirty minutes if I forget about it."

"You and your wit, Jenna Elizabeth. That English teacher has another thing comin' for 'em now that you're in his class." Peter's belly laughed, his cheeks turning red.

  The DuBaer's were wealthy. Education mattered and was important. However, the value was so great that it came easy to those within the big family. Their humor was blinded by seriousness, jokes over classic novels, and great math problems.

  Jenna had been blessed the day the DuBaer's took her in as their foster child. Barren since the day they married, Melissa and Peter had to find a way to keep the line going. A boy had been preferred but when Jenna had shown up in their home three years ago, they changed their minds. Six months ago, they signed the dotted line and she officially became a DuBaer. A legacy of lawyers to live up to.

"I'm going to Cabo with Noelle for two weeks. Do not tell Melissa." His tone became firm. "I've used cash to pay for it and have opened another account at—."

"Why are you telling me this?" asked Jenna.

"So, there will be no suspicion on my part." Peter finished slowly. "All I need is for my skillful of a liar daughter to protect me on the home front."

Jenna faked a smile, "of course, pops."

  Peter nodded his head and left the room. The French doors closing softly behind him. After he left, Jenna ran into her bathroom to get rid of tonight's dinner. The guilt of finding out and still hiding Peter's affair from Melissa was eating her alive.

  Melissa DuBaer had come from old money herself. She had been groomed from the day she was born to be the perfect stay-at-home wife. Prepared to have as many children as her husband wanted, make meals from scratch, and know anything about every subject known to man. The things her mother had instilled in her mind she tried to instill within Jenna. However, her daughter did not desire her knowledge of the world.

  She had sent up Elliot knowing that he and Jenna were supposed to study for a history test they had on Monday. No one had ever suspected anything from the two. The orphanage giving both sets of parents their background stories. Elliot had walked in to hear the noises coming from her bathroom. Jenna was leaning against the light grey wall, breathing heavily when he walked in.

"Peter must be going somewhere with Noelle I presume." He watched as she shook her head violently and repeated her actions from before he walked in. "Just know that when you are married, you will never do this to your husband." Elliot held her hair.