Will My Words Reach Him? (Itadori Yuji x Yoshino Junpei Oneshot)

"You shouldn't keep blaming yourself for what Sukuna did, Yuji," Junpei frowned.

The brown-haired male exhaled, and repeated himself, "You should go back to Jujutsu High, Junpei. You're not safe around me."

"I agree with Yoshino here, Otouto. What Ryomen Sukuna did is what he did. And what you did is what you did," Choso crossed his arms as he leaned on the railing.

"How can you even say that?!" He snapped. "Sukuna killed innocents. I've become a murderer, and yet you want to stick around me? What if I kill you too?!"

Junpei bit his lip. After the Shibuya Incident which left Satoru-sensei sealed, Yuji had been blaming himself over and over again for letting Sukuna win the battle and come out. It hurt seeing the one who saved him call himself a murderer when he had saved many lives, like him.

It hurt... Seeing his crush so heartbroken and struggling to battle the demons within.

Why did he have to suffer? Why did Sukuna have to treat Yuji's body like it was a plaything?

Why was it always Yuji who had to suffer for the sake of others?

Of all the people in the world, why was fate always content with torturing Yuji?

"Just leave Junpei," Yuji sighed, but as he got up, Junpei grabbed his wrist, "No!"

He looked back at his friend, and noticed the anger in the usually nonchalant and rational Sorcerer.

"I won't let you go, Baka!" Junpei snapped. "You refused to let me suffer, and I won't let you beat yourself up too!"

"That's a different story!" Yuji yelled. "You're not safe near me, Junpei!"

"Then why had you saved me back then if you were going to just break down like this?!" He shouted back.

Yuji's eyes widened, and his mouth moved, but no words came out.

"Stop blaming yourself for something stupid Sukuna did!" Junpei yelled. "You are Itadori Yuuji, the person who saved my life, who stopped me before I went too far, and I won't let you go too far too! That's what friends do!"

"This and that-"

"Don't you DARE say it's a different matter, because it's not!"

His mouth opened to retort, but Junpei was prepared.

"Don't you dare tell me to go back, because it was my choice to stay! It was your choice to save me, so it's my choice to stay and help!" Junpei's brown orb stared into Yuuji's own. "You should never feel indebted to me or anything else, because I'm the one who owes you, Baka!"

"Ooh, burn," Choso snickered quietly.

"Junpei..."

"I..." he inhaled. "I won't let you cry alone. Yuji, omae hitorijanai*!"

"But why?..." he went quiet. "Why defend me?"

"Because... Because I love you, you idiotic brain cell! You... You always put others before yourself, a-and you always believe the best in people! Y-You don't want to kill others, a-and I really admire that about you! You can stay true to yourself despite how much fate wants to screw you up, and that's amazing! So please, Yuji! Let me... Let me help you just this once," He begged.

His eyes widened, but Junpei then noticed the small tears that had begun falling down his cheeks, "I-I... T-Thank you so much Junpei. F-For everything you've done for me in my life."

Junpei felt his own, and there was water on his cheeks too. Relief flooded his heart, and without a second thought, he hugged Yuji as tight as he could.

Watching from the side, Choso sniffed and wiped some tears away. He was so glad that his younger brother had found love.

Yuji had never felt such warmth in his life. He was so glad that he had met Junpei, because Junpei was the kindest person he had ever met, and he would always treasure the person he loved.

Junpei smiled. He knew now that perhaps he wasn't perfect, but with Yuji, he was complete, and no one would tell him otherwise.

That was something he would never give up, and he would fight to the death to retain this love. That was a promise. 

Crossposted on AO3 under the pseud PhoenixDay2207