SSV-mas Day 25: Afterlife (Modern Old Twist)

Perhaps, one day, a longlife dream can be fulfilled. When will the world be done with him, though?

WUKONG: *waves the kids goodbye as they leave* See ya later!

MK: *waves back* See you in the new year! 

MEI: Bye bye!

SIYU: *giggles* Have fun! 

CYAN: *waves, they're finally free from the Mayor's clutches* See ya. 

MACAQUE: .... *watches him* ... Wukong, you're not-

WUKONG: Oh, not yet! I'm actually gonna do some stuff here first, then meet y'all in Megapolis! You're inviting the other kids right? I'd rather not cramp up your style kid. *pats his head* Go have fun, okay?

MK: *blinks* You okay, Monkey King?

WUKONG: *laughs* Course I am, kid! Just go have fun! Chiro and Schrik want ya there with the others! 

MK: *smiles* Alright, see ya there!

WUKONG: *waves them away, but as they leave, his smile drops* Kid... I'm sorry... *walks back to the mountain, eventually arrives at a certain cave* This is... where I revealed myself to the kid, wasn't it?

"You're perfect!"

"Perfect for what?"

"To be my apprentice!"

WUKONG: *closes eyes, sighs* I ruined him. All my mistakes, it just... compiled onto him. Again and again, my failures just... I keep on ruining others, don't I? I'm just a burden to everyone. *looks up to the sky* Everyone but me, they... they at least try, but for all the intelligence I'm supposed to have, I'm just... selfish. Is that...

WUKONG: *tears up* Is that what being smart is about? To hurt others just to protect yourself...? If that's the case, I'm better off dead... 

"Your mistakes will continue to haunt, haunt, haunt you~ This little song will echo for all of eternity!" 

WUKONG: But of course, I just HAVE to be immortal, can't even die! *laughs bitterly* I try to do good, really I do, and yet, why does everything I touch, everything I reach out, decay and dissolve before my very eyes? If... If only I could die, maybe others will be happier... *looks at reflection in the water, curls up into a ball*

?: And here I thought you were actually going to show up. 

WUKONG: *eyes shoot wide open* Wha- HUH?! *turns around* Who-

DEMON BULL KING: *scoffs* Surprising how you seemed to have forgotten me, Monkey King. 

WUKONG: As if I could, Demon Bull King, or maybe I should be saying, Niumo?

DEMON BULL KING: *eyes soften* That name hasn't been uttered since the days of the Brotherhood. 

WUKONG: Yeah, well, I'm in a nostalgic mood right now! *wipes tears angrily* Look, I'm not in the mood to deal with you right n-

DEMON BULL KING: Ah, yes, moping around is better than telling the rest how you feel. How very prideful of you.

WUKONG: EXCUSE ME?! 

DEMON BULL KING: If it's to the point MY SON and AZURE told me to talk to you, you clearly do not know that the others noticed your change in atttitude! 

WUKONG: *huffs, sits down on a rock* ... *sighs, looks at the water again, looks at HIM in the water's reflection* I break everything I touch. I ruin everyone I care for. What else do you want me to say, Niumo? You've seen what the kid's had to go through because he found my staff. At this point, death is an escape, I know, but... It's better than everyone suffering every minute I'm around them. 

DEMON BULL KING: Wukong...

WUKONG: *looks at his hands* I was selfish, rude.... gosh, the kid is a much better person than I'll ever be. *fights back tears* For all my years, I'm much more immature than even Pigsy...

DEMON BULL KING: .... I wonder that as well. *sits down beside him* I am trying to be a good father, but it's not even innately in me. I'm a DEMON, Wukong. I'm not...

WUKONG: Yeah, maybe we should switch species while we're at it. 

DEMON BULL KING: *snorts* You are annoying, Sun Wukong. However did I become sworn brothers with you?

WUKONG: Cause I have charisma! *smirks, but it drops* .... Sorry, force of habit.

DEMON BULL KING: Do not apologise. The worst has passed and we... we can only use the flames of regret to further our own paths of redemption. 

WUKONG: I... But can I really? I can't undo what I did, and everyone around me probably hates me. Heck, the kid did too! I... I'm sick of having no one to rely on. Of fearing connection to the point I am nothing but a *******... 

DEMON BULL KING: And is it not fear that inspires us to commit mistakes, to learn from them as well?

WUKONG: Huh?

DEMON BULL KING: You are overthinking it. You just need to remind yourself to keep trying. At least, that is what my Princess tells me after nightmares. *smiles*

WUKONG: *eyes widen* Niumo...

DEMON BULL KING: *gets up* Apparently Red Son wants to set off some fireworks, so... would you like to join us? *smiles slightly*

WUKONG: *watches him* ... *smiles, wipes tears off* Sure, brother. "I may not be able to change the past, but I will do my best to make up for my mistakes from now on!!"

DEMON BULL KING: *chuckles*