SSV-mas Day 30: Secret Santa (Dance of the Backyard Weeds)

Gift exchange is truly a gift, why else would one go so far to ensure one's happiness through giving them one?

ANANSI: *sighs, looks out the window as the snow falls in the evening, all the plants are staying in minus the Winter-mints who are having a snowball fight outside* Man... 

MELON-PULT: Is Anansi alright? I haven't seen him this way since that one time when we lost against the zombies. 

REPEATER: I wish I knew too, man. I wish I knew too, man. 

GRAVEBUSTER: We should probably try to ask, right?

CALM-ADIUM: Agreed. *hops over* Anansi?

ANANSI: *jumps* O-Oh, hi! What's up?

PUFF-SHROOM: You look really sad! 

SQUASH: You should talk it out, kid.

ANANSI: I-I'm fine! I really am! *smiles at them* It's just that... *looks out the window again* I... never really got a present before.

*record scratch* 

PEASHOOTER: WHAT?! 

ANANSI: *rubs neck* Didn't have a lot of friends growing up. I usually stuck with myself reading books and watching shows. It tends to make up for everything, I guess? *shrugs* I did have ONE friend, but we've lost contact over the years. And sure there are fan gifts and all that, but... I guess I just want that human touch to it. *laughs* it's stupid I know. People would say that it's my own fault for not reaching out to others when I was a kid, but... friends were really hard to get by. Moreso the ones that would stick around. *sad smile, but shakes head* But regardless, I have an amazing family now, even if they're plants, and the Xplorers have been nice to me! I'm happy that I have you all with me, really! And even the SSV people are nice and don't kick me out or anything. My life's changed for the better, even if this wish is sorta selfish in a way. *gets up, stretches* Anyway, I'm off to get a chapter written. Y'all have fun, oka- *the doorbell rings* Huh?

SCAREDY-SHROOM: EEP! *shrinks into ground* W-Who's that?

SNOW PEA: *heads in* Hey, Anansi, we heard the doorbell. 

ICEBERG LETTUCE: Should we all go and check on it?

ANANSI: Nah, I'll get the doorbell. *walks over, opens the door* Erm, look, if you're a fan, I appreciate it but- *freezes* W... Whetū? 

WHETŪ: *smiles* Jingyi. *pauses* No, it's Anansi now right?

ANANSI: *eyes widen* W-What?... *stunned* 

WHETŪ: I found out where your address was. *laughs* Thought it would be great to give you a little Secret Santa gift, I guess. *takes out a small gift box wrapped in cute wrapping paper* I just came here to give it to you, really! I'll be leaving after-

ANANSI: You can stay!  

WHETŪ: *pauses* Huh?

ANANSI: *blushes* Y-You can stay, TūTū. I don't mind! O-Or we can go out to a nearby cafe! 

WHETŪ: *smiles widely* The cafe idea sounds great! I know one just a few blocks away, and I can drive us there while we catch up! 

ANANSI: *eyes widen, but smiles back* That's awesome! L-Let me just... erm... I mean, if it's okay! 

WHETŪ: Don't worry about it, Anansi. I'll be waiting in the car, but you can open your gift in the house if you want! 

ANANSI: I... *takes it* O-Okay! I promise I won't take too long! 

WHETŪ: Great! *walks back to the car with a wave* 

ANANSI: *nearly slams the door close, stares at the gift a bit too long as everyone walks out* 

ICE-SHROOM: I guess that's a good thing?

ANANSI: I... I guess so. 

SNOW PEA: Don't keep us waiting! Open it. *pauses* or do it without us watching. It's fine. 

ANANSI: I... I'll open it on my own, if that's okay. *rushes into his bedroom, shuts door close, slumps onto the ground, stares at the gift* .... "I always wondered when, but..." *tears prick at his eyes as he hugs it* I... I'm so happy... *smiles, slowly unwraps it* Wait...?

ANANSI: *takes out a picture frame of them and Whetū together when they were younger* I thought I lost all of this when I was kicked out of my house... *hugs it tight* Thank you... Thank you for coming to find me again, W-Whetū... *begins crying even as he smiles* 

PLANTS: *share a smile outside his door*

SHALDAK: He's going to be fine?

SPLIT PEA: Yeah, he will. He just needs a moment to thaw out that part of his heart. Let's give him some space. *they all disperse*