SSV-mas Day 5: Mistletoe (Suppressed Emotions)

The heart aches for no reason, the mistletoe sings, has happiness finally come to ol'  Scrooge?

LUCYRE: And done! All the decorations are up! *lands on the ground* I'm quite excited for this one, Schrik!

SCHRIK: *laughs* I'm glad you are, LUCYrE. 

HELEN: *looks over, rolls over in her wheelchair* Hey, Schrik, look up there. *points*

SCHRIK: Huh? *looks up, freezes* ...O-Oh. 

LUCYRE: Oh? Schrik, you look pale. 

SCHRIK: L-LUCYrE, did you put that... that PLANT up there? *shakily points to the piece of mistletoe*

LUCYRE: *blinks* Helen told me to! *she did WHAT?!*

HELEN: *mischievous smile* Well, you know the tradition, Schrik! Kiss or bad luck! And I'm pretty sure you want to keep that good streak going!

SCHRIK: *flushes* It's actually quite poisonous, though! And Norse mythology actually says a different tale!

LUCYRE: Hm? *curious* Could you tell us?

SCHRIK: Sure! *excited* So-

HELEN: After the kiss, though, or I'm calling for backup. *grins, no she WOULDN'T call for MK AND CHIRO RIGHT?* *smiles, oh no, she absolutely would*

SCHRIK: *gulps, but inhales, face still red, and kisses her deeply, hugging her tight as he continues*

LUCYRE: *covers eyes* A LITTLE WARNING WILL BE NICE! "I had thought I had seen it all, really!"

HELEN: *when Schrik finally lets her go, she's red* W-Well...

SCHRIK: *flushed cheeks, but grins* Well, you asked, so I just d-delivered. 

HELEN: *goes even redder, the two avoid eye contact* 

LUCYRE: *clears throat* I believe you promised a tale?

SCHRIK: R-Right! So the mistletoe actually has its own significance in a Norse myth. *sits down at the fireplace, the two join him* It involves a Norse god named Baldr. He was said to be quite invincible, but that has its own tale.

HELEN: How so?

SCHRIK: Well... he and his mom once had the same dream of him dying, which was a worrying thing since people apparently assumed dreams were prophetic back then. A lot of myths have parts where heroes have prophetic dreams, so... *shrugs* Anyway, because of this, his mom went around and made every living thing swear to not hurt him at all, making him all but invincible, except...

LUCYRE: Except? 

SCHRIK: She didn't make the mistletoe swear. To her, it was too young, too insignificant, nothing to worry about, I suppose. Can't read them deities' minds. This was of course exploited by the trickster god, Loki, who ended up making a weapon out of it and tricked Baldr's brother, Hod, into shooting him down. 

HELEN: What?! That's so wrong! 

SCHRIK: What made it worse? Hod was blind, so in other words, Loki had all but exploited a poor god into doing his dirty work. *scowls* Poor mistletoe got blamed for that and the gods... they made it become a symbol of love and happiness, even though it didn't want, it hadn't wanted it... 

"You're just a child who killed your parents! Ratatoskr! Stay in your room until someone adopts you!"

SCHRIK: *swallows* So... yeah, it isn't lighthearted, that story. The myth may have come about cause of human minds, but it still points out how imperfect and vulnerable we are. We're pretty much mortal and can die any time, any where. Just like... my family... *chest hurts slightly, he flinches a bit*

HELEN: Schrik... *hugs him* It's okay, we get it. 

SCHRIK: "No, I don't think you do, cause the same thing that killed them... it's in me..." *buries himself into her hug* "It feels so nice, I could be here forever..."

LUCYRE: *frowns* "Schrik? Something is wrong with him..." *the bond feels... off, like something is interfering, but what?...*

SCHRIK: "I... I'm not a monster, right? Just because I have intrapsykisk kreft..." *tears stream down his cheek* "Oh, Helen, LUCYrE, what would you think of me if you knew the truth...?"