Chapter 1 - Prologue

Ink's POV

  I breathed heavily and my vision was blurry. My entire body hurt to no end. As I pushed myself up from the hard asphalt, I tried to looked around. Nothing was clear to me and all I could hear was ringing with the faint sound of sirens.

I was able to find my brown scarf not far from where I was. Crawling to it, I grabbed it with a weak grip and held it close to my chest.

There were suddenly voices that grew louder as the owners ran towards me. I couldn't make out what they were saying. All I knew was that I was being picked up while someone was trying to get my scarf. I refused to let them take it from me. Then, everything faded to black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My conscious came back to me but it was difficult to open my eyes. I knew that I was in a bed because of the position that I was in.

After a few minutes, I was finally able to see my surroundings. Looking around, I noticed that I was in a hospital. It was a bland room. A window was to my left along with chairs. Resting on one of them was my brown scarf. In front of me was a counter with several items and a restroom. Finally, to my right was a large curtain that was separating me from the door.

Movement returned which allowed me to push myself up into a sitting position.

I held my hand to my face as I tried to remember what had happened. That's when it all came back to me. My parents and I were driving home after eating dinner in a restaurant. I didn't remember what came next but I did know that the car started to lose balance. Then we crashed.

Me: Mom, dad.

I had realized that they weren't with me. Throwing the covers over my body, I began to push myself out of the bed.

The creaking sound of the curtain could be heard. I was too focused on getting up to care but I was pushed back. Looking up, I saw a nurse.

Nurse: Take it easy. You're going to get hurt if you try to stand up.

Me: Where are my parents?

She suddenly had a sad expression on her face. It clicked almost instantly.

Me: No.

Nurse: I'm so sorry. We couldn't save them.

  I was speechless. Black inky tears threatened to fall and I didn't have the will power to hold them in. The nurse gently pushed me back as I began to break down.

Me: Miss.

Nurse: Yes?

Me: Can I have my brown scarf, please?

  She nodded as she gently grabbed it and wrapped it around my neck. The nurse grabbed a chair before sitting next to bed.

Nurse: What's your name, sweetheart?

Me: Ink. Ink Comyet.

Nurse: My name is Toriel. It's nice to meet you.

  I wiped my black tears away. I finally saw the nurse's appearance. She was a female goat monster that had a motherly expression.

  After that, she began to talk with me so I wouldn't be lonely.

(Time Skip)

  For the past three days, doctors have been visiting me every hour. Soul doctors, therapists, all of them. Toriel has been the only one who has been keeping me company during my time in the hospital.

  I wasn't exactly in the right state of mind because of my parents' death. It didn't help that I couldn't even attend their funeral as I couldn't even leave the room. Today wasn't making it any better as a lawyer was coming to read their will.

  Toriel sat next to me as I nervously fiddled with my brown scarf. My thoughts were rushing past and memories of the crash were vivid in my mind. A soft touch on my shoulder pulled me out.

Toriel: Ink, sweetheart, are you okay?

  I timidly nodded.

Toriel: Do you want to go for a walk? The reading doesn't happen for a few hours.

Me: That would be nice.

  Toriel helped me out of the bed. Yesterday, she started helping me walk again. It was really difficult at first but I was able to get on my feet.

Toriel: Let's try to get your mind off things.

(Time Skip)

  I was drawing alone in my room when the door suddenly opened. I was expecting it to be Toriel but it wasn't. It was a tall male skeleton. He had black bones with blue tear marks running from his eyes. I was intimidated by his demeanor. He was serious, too serious. 

  We made eye contact which caused me to quickly look away. There was an awkward silence until more people started entering. One of them was the lawyer. My anxiety from earlier came back to me.

Lawyer: Alright since everyone is here I will begin. First off, Ink Comyet, your parents are not sending you to an orphanage. Rather, once you recover, you will be sent to live with...

Error Queen

A Quick Discussion

  This is a small experiment. I don't know if this is going to become a book. Who knows, it might. We'll just have to see.