Chapter 20 - Christmas

Ink's POV

I walked with Tisha throughout the mall as she shopped for the upcoming winter holiday. I had only tagged along with her because she had pressured me into joining her.

I looked around at the many shops that sold a variety of products. My mind suddenly brought up a worrying question.

'What am I going to get Error for Christmas? The holiday is in two weeks.'

My eyes looked around before spotting a clothing store. I glanced at Tisha, seeing her preoccupied about choosing between two perfumes. This gave me a chance to shop for my guardian.

There were several racks of clothing which made it hard for me to choose. Sweaters of many colors stood out to me however, I wanted to get Error a cold neutral shade.

My finger traced against the different fabrics before stopping on a black turtleneck. I pulled it out and admired the handiwork of the sweater. Resting it over my arm, I continued to look through the clothing.

Once I was done, I went to the counter to purchase the sweaters and pants that I had gotten him. However, I still needed to get Error some other gifts.

'Maybe I should get Error some wine glasses and books.'

  I walked out of the clothing store with bags in my hands. Tisha was still in the same place that I had left her. She noticed me walking towards her.

Tisha: Where did you go?

Me: I was buying my guardian some things.

Tisha: What were you getting him, Ink~

  She asked as she gave me a sly grin. I scoffed at the expression.

Me: You're disgusting, Tisha. He's nothing like that.

  Tisha's facial features softened.

Tisha: How so?

Me: He's caring and wholesome. He's like... a big teddy bear.

Tisha: It seems you love him, Ink.

  I raised an eyebrow.

Me: Like...

Tisha: You love him romantically.

  Rainbow blush appeared on my cheeks. I wanted to say something but nothing came out. For some reason, I couldn't refuse her words. Deep within me, I knew she was right.

  Tisha put her hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see a smile on her face.

Tisha: Then go get him something. I'll tag along. My affairs can wait.

(Two Weeks Later)

  I placed the gifts under the tree while Error was in the kitchen. Once I was done, I approached my guardian from behind.

  Error was cleaning the dishes from dinner earlier. I tapped on him the shoulder, catching his attention.

Error: What's up?

Me: Come with me.

  I said before grabbing Error's arm. He was startled but allowed me to drag him into the living room. I made him sit on the couch.

  Going over to the tree, I grabbed Error's gifts and left the ones that were for me. I placed them in front of him and sat on the coffee table as I was excited.

  Error looked to be surprised as his eyes darted around the bags and boxes.

Me: They're for you.

  He was silent for a minute. Then, he locked eyes with me and gave him a timid smile.

Error: T-Thank you. I... don't know what to say.

  He slowly grabbed a bag, pulling out the clothing that I had bought him earlier. His thumb rubbed against the black fabric of his newly obtained turtleneck. He thanked me before moving on to the next gift.

  I had bought him new books and a set of wine glasses that could match his fancy personality while he read.

  When Error opened the last box, he picked up a teddy bear. He stared at the stuffed animal for a second before hugging it tightly and burying his head into the fluffy material.

He looked at me, making me notice that small tears were slowly rolling down his cheeks.

Me: What's wrong?

  I moved to the couch and hugged him.

Error: Nothing. It's just... I'm not used to receiving things on holidays.

  We stared at each other. I raised my hand up, wiping away the tears on his cheeks. There was a shy smile as he held the stuffed animal.

  After drying his face with his sleeve, Error seemed to compose himself once more.

Error: Go open your gifts. I got you things as well.

(Time Skip)

A movie played on the TV, signifying that it was time to wind down for the night. I listened to it as I drew in my sketchbook.

The sound of ceramic hitting wood forced me to look away. Error had sat a mug of cocoa on the coffee table in front of me. He was holding a glass of wine and a heated blanket was thrown over his arm.

I thanked him, setting the sketchbook down before taking hold of the mug. I leaned back and took a sip of the hot drink. Error rested himself next to me.

  I suddenly felt a warm piece of cloth wrap around me.

  Looking away from my drink, I saw that Error had the blanket around us.

The feeling of warmth grew on my face. I faced the TV while taking another sip of cocoa.

Mello jumped onto Error's lap, placing her paws on his chest and rubbing her face against his cheek. He scratched behind her ear, gently kissing her nose. She meowed before curling into a ball to fall asleep.

I leaned against his shoulder.

Me: Error.

He hummed to let me know that he was listening.

Me: ...

Merry Christmas