Chapter 23 - Couldn't Sleep

Ink's POV

  I made coffee in the kitchen for Error and myself. I woke up in his arms after the calm Christmas night. The living room was messy as we didn't clean up. We immediately fell asleep when we finished our drinks.

  The coffee machine made a small noise, telling me that the hot drinks were ready. I picked up the mugs and carried them to the living room. I saw Error sleeping peacefully on the couch with Mello cuddling against his chest.

Lightly nudging from me was able to wake him up. Error looked up and gave me a small smile. I offered him one of the mugs and greeted him.

Error picked up Mello and placed her on the other side of the couch. He sat up before taking the mug and thanking me. I sat next to him with a tired yet happy expression.

Me: How was your sleep?

Error: It was... the best that I have had in a while.

I leaned over and wrapped my arms around Error. He smiled as his eyes met mine. Rainbow blush grew on my cheeks.

We sat together while drinking our coffee. I looked around the room, seeing the mess. I knew we had to clean it but I didn't have the energy to do it.

Error stood up from the couch and walked around, picking up pillows and boxes. I helped after I finished my drink.

As I put everything back in its place, I thought about one of my old memories. It was a few nights before Christmas and ____ as there to take care of me while my parents were gone.

~~~~Flashback~~~~

Ink's POV (Age: 7)

A yawn escaped me while I rubbed my tired eye. The hallway was dark but there was dim light and soft music coming from the living room. When I entered the room, I saw ____ sitting near the tree.

I walked around the couch to see him looking through a box that had ornaments in it. ____'s laptop was resting on the table, playing calm jazz. He seemed to be focused on the box and the tree.

He looked up when he noticed me from the corner of his eyesight. His calm expression soon turned to a concerned one.

???: Why are you up, Inky? You should be in bed.

Me: I can't sleep. Can I join you instead?

He was quiet for a second but eventually nodded. I jumped onto the couch and sat down, looking curiously at the box.

Me: What are you doing?

???: Your dad said that there was a box in the attic that they missed so he asked me to put the remaining decorations on the tree. Do you want to help?

I nodded. He smiled as he looked into the box, picking up a small ornament that was shaped like a snowflake. It was shiny with the small segments covered with white glitter.

???: Where do you want to put this one?

I thought to myself as I looked at the tree. My finger shot up, pointing at a higher branch. ____ stood up and carefully slid the ornament onto the branch. He bent down to pick up another, this time being a plastic fox that held a cute expression.

???: Did you pick this one?

My nodded and a wide smile spread across my cheeks.

???: I thought you did. It seems to match your personality. So... what's the perfect place for this little one? If must go in the front since it's yours.

Standing up from the couch, I gently grabbed the ornament and inspected the branches. I attached the fox to one and turned to face him with a childish grin.

???: Great choice.

(Time Skip)

The box was emptied once we hung all the ornaments. I saw on the couch and admired the tree. There still was no feeling of tiredness even though it was late at night.

My caretaker closed the box and set it aside to put back later.

Me: Can I sleep with you tonight?

He looked up, walking towards me and kneeling down. There was an almost evil but playful grin.

???: I don't know, Inky. I might tickle you.

____ said before tickling my body. I laughed, trying to get away from him but my attempts were fruitless. He chuckled and stopped to let me breathe.

???: Of course you can.

He smiled before asking me a question.

???: Do you want some hot chocolate?

Me: Yeah.

____ walked to the kitchen, leaving me on the couch.

Not long after, he returned with a small cup as well as some blankets. Once I drank all of my cocoa, ____ pulled a few blankets over my body and tucked me in. He sat on the floor and rested against the coffee table.

???: Do you believe in Santa?

Me: I think I do. Mom told me that he's the spirit of Christmas but not an actual person.

???: That's an interesting way to put it.

____ got up and sat on the opposite end of the couch. I got up and changed positions so that my head was resting on his leg. He adjusted the blankets before placing a hand gently on my head. His thumb slowly rubbed back and forth, causing me to become tired.

???: ...

Goodnight, Inky