Chapter 12 - Last Night

Ink's POV

I yawned as my eyes opened. Looking around, I saw that I was laying in my bed. Although, I clearly remembered falling asleep in the couch. Mello was curled up in a ball at my feet and my school supplies were on my desk.

Pushing myself up, I tried to wake up. The grey tabby next to me lifted her head. I smiled as I lightly rubbed her ear.

  I stretched after standing up. I went into the living room to find my guardian. However he was no where to be found.

'Maybe he's at work.'

  I went to the garage but saw that his car was still here. Well, more like cars as there were multiple.

'No, he's still here.'

  I had searched the house for a few minutes, leaving one room left. It was Error's bedroom.

  I stood at his door, debating if I should go in. My hand slowly went to the doorknob. The door opened and there he was, sitting in an office chair while reading a book.

  He wore a red turtleneck with grey slacks. His glasses were on his nose bridge and he sipped from a glass of wine.

  He was in his own little world. I noticed a small smile on his face and I couldn't help but stare at him. My cheeks became warm.

  Error looked up and caught me watching him. I blushed heavily as I moved my eyes away. He closed his book and stood up from his chair.

Error: I didn't know you were awake.

Me: I just woke up.

Error: I see.

He put the book on a shelf while continuing to speak.

Error: I called the school and told them that you were sick so you could sleep in. I noticed that you were falling asleep a lot on the couch while working on your project.

I thought for a second.

Me: How did I end up in my bed?

Suddenly, Error stopped moving and he blushed.

Error: I-I woke up y-you up and t-told you to go your room to s-sleep.

Me: Strange, I don't remember that.

Error: You must have just been really tired.

He said quickly with an awkward laugh. I raised an eyebrow.

Me: Why are you acting so strange?

He looked at me, a somewhat defensive tone in his voice.

Error: I-I'm not acting strange.

I crossed my arms.

Me: What really happened last night?

I guess he realized that he wasn't getting out of this because he eventually sighed.

Error: I carried you to bed.

Error confessed quietly.

Rainbow blush soon covered my face as I froze in my place. I wasn't expecting that answer. My guardian couldn't even say anything because he was so flustered.

  I smiled before walking away.

Me: Thank you.

Error: You're welcome, Ink.

  He whispered to me.

  As I walked away, I felt my blush become warmer.

(Time Skip)

  Sitting on the couch, I watched TV with Error. There was an awkward yet comforting silence between us. I had the strange urge to lean on his shoulder but I didn't do it.

  Mello played on her cat tree. I could hear the jingles from her collar. Suddenly, the channel was interrupted by the news. It was another car crash.

  My eyes widened and I felt my breathing become heavy. My vision became blurry as tears started form. Flashes of the crash rushed through my mind.

  Error quickly changed the channel and hugged me. He rocked us a little bit, quietly humming. I listened to his soulbeat which calmed me down.

Error: You have PTSD. I should get you some medication.

  I looked up at him. Error gently wiped my tears with a soft expression. I leaned into his palm as my breathing slowed to normal. He lowered his voice.

Error: I hate seeing you like this, Ink.

  I hugged him tightly. He was startled but returned the gesture. We embraced each other for a few minutes. Suddenly, there was a meow that came from an aged grey tabby.

  Looking down, I saw Mello staring at us. Her beautiful eyes almost held concern in them. Error patted the couch, allowing the cat to jump up. She rested on my lap.

  Error took my hand and guided me to her soft fur.

Error: Petting an animal helps release stress. Pet her for few seconds.

  Then, his phone rang which made me flinch. Error quickly turned off the TV before answering his phone. He went to the kitchen to speak with the person on the phone. I pet Mello while listening to his conversation.

Error: Hello? Hi Damien.

  Silence.

Error: I can leave on Saturday, no sooner. I'm helping Ink with a project that's due on Friday.

  He suddenly got somewhat angry.

Error: Stop calling him jailbait, Damien.

  There was a sigh.

Error: Alright, alright, I'll see you at the meeting in two weeks. I'm taking Ink with me.

  I heard him throw his phone onto the counter.

  He walked back into the living room. He looked at me and started to talk.

Error: This Saturday, have your suitcase packed. We are going on a road trip so I can attend a meeting to make a deal.

Me: You're not leaving me here?

Error: I don't want you here by yourself. And don't worry about Mello, I have an automatic feeder for her.

  I nodded, continuing to stroke the tabby's ear and grabbed my brown scarf to think.

  Error sat on the couch again. He gave me the remote, giving me the decision of turning on the television. I pressed the power button, tuning the channel to a game show.

  We then went back to our previous activity. Mello stood up, stepping onto Error's lap. He looked down and picked her up. She rested on his chest. I smiled when I saw him...

Kiss Mello on the head