Chapter 34 - Fur Baby

Error's POV (Age: 19)

I sat on my bed, reading a book that I had borrowed from the library. Mello was curled on my lap asleep. Occasionally, I scratched her soft ear which caused her to start purring.

My iPod played some songs that I had downloaded for the use of studying.

The door opened and I saw Damien walk in. He was panting, telling me that he had just finished a jog after working out at the gym.

Damien: I wish I was able to sweat. This panting shit is annoying.

He said, turning on our fan before flopping onto his bed. He hugged his pillow and shifted to face the ceiling. There was a small smile on his face.

I paused my music and closed my book. I leaned back, making sure not to wake Mello.

Me: Tell me. Who's the lucky lady?

Damien: I met this beautiful she-wolf at the gym. Her name is Bella, but her actual name is Belladonna. I asked her for her number and she said yes.

Me: Good for you. You found someone you like, who is also around the same age.

I responded, joking about my shameful insecurity. It made me less depressed when I made fun of it. Although Damien was the only one that could be around when I did joke about me being a pedophile.

He understood that even if I did love a child, I never had bad intentions or criminal thoughts. I was just in love with someone younger than me and I hated myself for it.

The sound of my friend calling my name pulled me from my thoughts.

Damien: Are you okay? You became sad suddenly.

Me: I'm fine. Just... thinking about something at where I used to live.

Damien: And that is...

  I sighed, looking away from him.

Me: ...Ink.

Damien: I see you still miss him quite a bit.

  I nodded. I missed Ink a lot. Just seeing him made me happy when I used to take care of him. A part of me hoped that he still wore his brown scarf I gave him last year.

Damien shifted back to facing the ceiling, still hugging the pillow.

Damien: We should probably get ready to leave for class.

Me: Yeah.

(Time Skip)

Damien and I walked to a popular sandwich shop to get lunch. We had just finished math class and we quickly stopped by our dorm to pick up Mello.

I had a special backpack for her when I took her on walks. It was clear so she could see out of it and it had holes on the sides for her to able to breathe. Often, she would fall asleep in it rather than enjoying the view of the outside world.

When we walked into the shop, we found a table that was placed against the wall.

I placed the carrier on the edge of the table with the back against the wall. Despite the movement, Mello didn't wake from her peaceful slumber.

Damien: She has to be the most spoiled cat in this city.

Me: Of course she's spoiled. This cute fur baby is my little princess.

Damien: Her meow makes her sound like she smokes a pack everyday.

I glared at him.

Me: Don't judge her. She has had a hard life.

Damien: She's not even anthropomorphic and not even a year old.

Our playful argument was interrupted by the waitress. She placed our lunch on the table and left, after giving a compliment about the sleeping cat in a backpack. I had noticed that other people were taking pictures of my carrier because it wasn't common to see one.

My friend took a bite of his sandwich while I tore off a small piece from mine. I had gotten a grilled chicken sandwich with the intentions of giving Mello a small section of the meat as it was good for her.

I unzipped a part of the carrier and offered her the meat. The smell of cooked bird woke her up with excitement. She took the meat from my hand and happily ate it in her backpack.

  Damien rolled his eyes.

Damien: Mello's an adult. You don't need to hand feed her.

  A smiled appeared on my face.

Me: No matter how old she is...

She will always be my baby