Chapter 53 - To the Bar

Error's POV

  I slipped my belongings into my backpack and zipped it up. It was the end of the day and everyone was packing up to leave. I always stayed behind so I could wrap things up and check to make sure the night security got here.

  After throwing the bag over my shoulder, I left my office and locked the door behind me. The main room was empty and almost eerily quiet. I suppose it only felt like that since there was a grieving man in the room next to me. I walked to the other office to let Damien know that it was time to leave.

  I knocked and waited for an answer but there never was one. I pushed open to door to be soon greeted with my best friend laying his head on his desk. There were a few sniffs that could be heard from him.

Me: Damien.

  The wolf raised his head. I could see tears had dampened his forest green fur. He wiped his eyes when he noticed that I could clearly see how depressed he was.

Damien: Is it that time already? I didn't notice.

  He said, not making eye contact with me. Damien sighed as he stood up from his chair and grabbed his things. He met me at the door and we walked together down the hall towards the elevator.

  Not a single word was spoken as we waited to descend to the first floor. I could clearly see that the man next to me was fighting for his life to hold in tears. Ever since I've known him, Damien hated crying. This was the only thing he has ever shed tears about.

'Belladonna brutally broke his heart. She's changed since college.'

  The elevator dinged and its doors opened, allowing us to leave. I looked around to make sure that everyone had left and night guards were here. They walked around and waved when they spotted the both of us. I nodded back as a way to return the greeting.

  Damien and I split paths when we exited the building however, I stopped in my tracks when I heard the wolf call my name.

Damien: Hey Error.

Me: What's up?

  He hesitated before opening his mouth to speak.

Damien: Can we go somewhere? I don't really want to see Bella right now.

  I thought for a second. I did want to help cheer him up but I also knew that it wasn't the best option to avoid your wife after she stated that she wanted a divorce.

Me: Sure. Where to?

Damien: Anywhere, just... not home. I don't care.

Me: ... The bar?

  He nodded, turning around and walking towards me so that we could take my car.

  We got into the electric car and pulled out of the parking lot. I made a quick mental note to come back to get Damien's truck when we were done.

(Time Skip)

  I stared at the bar in front of us. We had just pulled in and we were mentally preparing ourselves for the change in environment. Our building was often quiet and calming, a good place to focus. However the bar was loud since there was always a sports game being played on the multiple large televisions that hung on the walls. It was a shock to the body from the big difference between the two.

  After sending a quick text to Ink, letting him know that he'll be by himself for dinner, we left the car and headed to the entrance. As soon as we walked through the front doors, we were deafened by the sound of cheering and clapping. The crowd's favorite team had just scored a point on whatever sport was on.

  Damien and I found a spot in the far corner of the bar and sat down. Our designated waitress stopped by our table and jotted down what we wanted to start off with. I had ordered a Bloody Mary while Damien just wanted a simple beer. For an appetizer, pretzel bites with a cheese dip was the best choice.

  We waited for a little bit for our drinks to arrive but they eventually came. It didn't take a single second for Damien to down his entire beer, the waitress hadn't even left yet.

Waitress: Hard day?

Me: Yeah, he'll take another.

  She nodded and left the two of us alone again. I folded my arms against my chest, leaning back in the chair.

Me: So, would you like to talk about it?

Damien: Why not.

Me: What's her reason?

  He took a minute to think, eating a pretzel bite in the process.

Damien: Remember that argument I had with her about the kids, she wants more and I don't?

  I nodded to let him continue.

Damien: And that she blamed me for not caring enough to be around them?

  I nodded again.

Damien: Well that was her reason for wanting a divorce. She texted that the papers will be here next week but she wants me out of the house tonight. I miss the Bella I met in college. The she-wolf that loved to exercise, play games, and stay up late just to talk.

  I could see tears forming in his eyes again. There was a deal made between us. Only one of us can cry at a time and it was now his turn.

  A sigh of discontent slipped from my mouth as I shook my head.

Me: People can change, Dami. I know you loved her and that she meant everything to you but it doesn't seem your feelings are reciprocated anymore.

Damien: But why? What did I do to fuck up so much? I know I don't often have time for the kids but every single thing that I have done has been for my family. Do you know how expensive seven kids are?

  I shook my head to show my lack of knowledge.

Damien: Almost two million dollars.

  At this point, he was having a full meltdown. I suppose someone who doesn't cry has a lot bottled up. I let him release his sadness but his sobs were covered up by the loud cheering from the rest of the diners. The waitress came by and placed another bottle of beer on the table and noticed the crying werewolf. She decided that another bottle would be needed.

(Time Skip)

  I parked my car next to the black truck in the parking lot of my company building. I watched Damien climb out of the passenger seat and head to his vehicle.

Me: You okay to drive, Dami?

  I asked after rolling down my window.

Damien: Yeah I should, I didn't have enough to cloud my judgements... unfortunately.

  I bid him a farewell and pulled out the lot to head home. It was late at night so there was a good chance that Ink was already in bed. I would have to eat dinner and finish up work quietly.

  As I drove home, I couldn't help but think out loud.

Me: I hope...

He will be alright