Chapter 11 - Studying

Ink's POV

I was woken up by light pushing. Turning over, I saw Error.

Me: What?

I groaned as I closed my eyes.

Error: The school called me. There's no power so you have a day off.

Me: Okay. So what's the plan?

Error: I called off for today so we can work on your history project.

He said as he sat on my bed. We were silent for a second. Then Error looked at me.

Error: Want to get some coffee?

I nodded my head. He left the room, allowing me to get changed for the day.

When I was done, I headed outside where I found Error leaning against his car.

We got in but it was silent. The sounds filling the emptiness was the dings and occasional feminine voice of Error's electric car. The motor itself was extremely quiet.

About ten minutes later, we pulled into the parking lot of a small café. We got out after Error turned off the car.

Error had a backpack that had his work stuff in it. I believe it also had the book that I was supposed to be reading.

We were seated and not long after, we were given our drinks.

I took a sip from my Caramel Frappuccino and read Error's history book that he handed me.

Error typed on his laptop. His glasses reflected the screen which made him look serious.

Suddenly, he looked at me. We stared at each other for what felt like eternity. Every time I made eye contact with Error, time seemed to stop.

Error noticed that we were staring at each other which caused him to shake his head and clear his throat.

Error: You s-should continue reading, Ink. I'll start helping you in a few moments.

For some reason, I thought I saw Error blush but ignored it. I continued taking notes and sipping from my drink. The silence between us was strangely enjoyable.

(Time Skip)

I drew for a little bit to take a small break from homework. Error was in the kitchen cleaning dishes while I was in the living room. Mello was fast asleep on her cat tree.

The television was tuned to a channel, providing background noise. However when I looked up, I saw a... car crash.

The memory of my parents' death came rushing back to me. It finally hit me, my parents were dead. My breathing became heavy as inky black tears poured down my cheeks. My vision grew blurry and I saw flashbacks of the crash. The sirens, the lights, the policemen, my parents. I couldn't help but scream in terror.

My screaming stopped when I felt arms around me. Looking up, I saw Error hugging me. One of his hands was behind my head and the other was around my waist. I felt him rocking me while whispering sweet nothings to me.

Error: Shh, shh, it's okay, it's okay. Everything is going to be alright. As long as I'm around, nothing will hurt you.

My breathing slowed down as I rested my head against his chest. After I calmed down, I noticed that Error was slightly trembling.

Error: It's okay, Ink. You're safe.

  He sounded so genuine that it almost seemed like he was telling himself that I was alright.

  Looking around, I saw that the TV was off and the remote was across the room. Mello was standing up straight while wondering what is happening.

  We pulled away from each other. Error lifted his thumb and wiped away my black tears. He tightened my brown scarf before sighing, standing to go back to the kitchen. I sat there for a second while thinking about my sudden panic attack.

  The house was quiet for a half an hour until I heard Error speak from the kitchen.

Error: I'm finished with the dishes. Let me change into something comfortable and then we can work on the project.

  I nodded and sat still. Eventually, he came back wearing black slacks and a red turtleneck. He put on his glasses after sitting on the couch.

  He opened the history book. I opened my notebook, ready to officially work on the writing part.

Error: What notes have you taken?

Me: When the humans fell, that journey of the last human and how they freed the monsters. I wrote about the king and his royal scientist who killed the humans for their souls. The royal scientist was also our first ancestor.

Error: How did the skeleton population increase?

Me: His two sons went off to marry humans in the over world. They had children. They came out as skeletons because skeleton genetics are dominant when it comes to the child's appearance.

Error: Meaning?

Me: Meaning we all have human blood running through our bones along with magic. However...

  I trailed off as I stood up. I paced for a little bit.

Me: it's makes me wonder. Why am I so different compared to other skeletons? I don't have blood, my bones are running with magic and black ink. That's why I'm named Ink, the ink that fuels me serves as my blood.

Error: ... It's the result of you not having a soul.

Me: What?

Error: I received your medical records when I became your legal guardian. You have ink for blood because your lack of a soul. The doctors don't know how it happened, your body just did that to save you from dying.

  My mind thought for a minute.

Me: Anyway, I also wrote about the friendship between the prince and the first human to ever fall.

Error: Very good. You need to add a lot of details but overall, you're good.

(Time Skip)

  We studied for what seemed like forever. I felt my eyes grow heavy and my body start to lean back. I rested against Error's shoulder as he read from the book. Then...

I fell asleep