Chapter 8 - Answers

Ink's POV

  I played music on my computer while doing homework. Mello was staring out the window, watching the birds fly by. Her long haired grey tail was swishing back and forth with anticipation. She was also sitting on my neatly folded brown scarf, getting fur on it.

  I was home alone so I could play my music as loud as I wanted. Error wasn't here as he was working.

My mouth subconsciously sang out the lyrics of the song that was currently playing. I couldn't help it since I was listening to my favorite singer, Anomaly. It was a shame that he stopped making music a few years ago.

I stopped writing and looked up. One of my memories came to me. However, the name and face still wasn't there. Although I knew that loved their smile.

~~~~Flashback~~~~

Ink's POV (Age: 7)

There was light pushing that awoke me from my sleep. My eyes opened and I saw ____ which made a small smile grow on my face. They smiled back.

???: Good morning and happy birthday, Inky.

I rubbed my eyes before pushing myself up. ____ gently picked me up. I let out a tired groan, wrapping my arms around their neck and resting my head on their shoulder.

We entered the living room, ____ setting me on the couch. A yawn slipped through my lips as my hand rubbed my face. I looked up to suddenly see that ____ had a box in their hands.

???: I got you something.

I gave them a confused expression and they motioned for me to open it. I lifted up the lid and peeked inside. Folded neatly in the center... was a brown scarf.

I took it before wrapping it around my neck. A smile appeared when I faced ____.

???: Do you like it?

My head nodded fast with an increasing smile. ____ grinned with satisfaction, blush appearing their cheeks.

I jumped up and hugged him...

~~~~End of Flashback~~~~

I sat up straight when I remembered that my caretaker was a male.

Eventually, I went back to my homework but my thoughts were shattered when I heard a voice from behind me. It was Error.

Error: Who are you listening to?

I slightly jumped because I wasn't expecting him. I didn't know that Error was going to be home early.

Me: Um... Anomaly.

Error: Is he your favorite?

Me: Yeah, actually. I love his music so much and I've listened to every single one of his songs. He always wore face covering. I was sad when he stopped three years ago. He decided to leave the internet all together. I follow him on all of his social media accounts.

I stopped to take a breath.

Me: He never took down any of his videos so people could watch them. Even now, he still manages to make me laugh. He never said why he stopped.

Error: Because he was tired of fame and his friends had a baby that he absolutely adored. He ended up falling in love with the child.

I raised an eyebrow as my curiosity grew.

Me: How do you know this?

Error: I read an article about it. I don't even know if it's on the internet anymore.

Me: Why did that make him stop?

Error looked away from me, staring at the floor.

Error: He was scared of receiving hate from his followers. Not everyone likes an age gap. That's why he refused to tell anyone and decided to just leave with a simple goodbye.

There was silence between us. I thought to myself because I was surprised that Error knew so much about my favorite singer.

My guardian's voice broke the awkward quietness between us.

Error: Anyway, come to the kitchen. I can help you with any homework while I cook dinner.

Me: Oh... um... okay.

I gathered my remaining homework before following Error to the kitchen. I sat on a bar stool while watching him take out a pot and other items.

(Time Skip)

I finished the last page of my homework with surprising speed. The aid of Error really helped with my studies. Especially with history, which I was grateful for.

Me: I didn't know you were good at history.

I looked up from my textbook, seeing Error facing towards from me. He wore a button-up shirt with a towel hung over his shoulder. He seemed to be cutting up chicken.

Error: I attended several history classes in high school and college. I majored in it until I realized that I enjoyed building and decorating more. Although, I use my knowledge of the world's many cultures in my work. And every Friday, I teach a history class.

Me: You're a professor?

Error stopped for a second to think about his answer to my question. He then exhaled.

Error: Kinda, I guess.

He went back to cooking, gifting me a few minutes of drawing.

About an hour later a bowl was set in front of me. My eyes moved up and noticed that was Alfredo. A wide smile appeared on my face.

Me: This is one of my favorite foods!

Error: Really?

He asked while putting food on his utensil.

Me: Yeah. My caretaker used to make this all the time when I was a kid.

Error: Was it good?

Me: It was the absolute best. Better than what you find at restaurants.

Error: Well that's good.

A tiny smile showed on Error's face, somehow making me blush rainbow.

While taking a bite of my food, I could have sworn that...

It tasted familiar