Chapter 9 - Rainy Night

Ink's POV

I chewed on my brown scarf while I finished the last of my homework. I was sitting in the living room, no one was home but Mello and I. The grey cat laid on the windowsill and stared out.

Suddenly, the front door opened and Error walked in. He was on the phone, seeming to be in an argument with someone.

Error: Are you fucking kidding me, Damien?! There are no flights to the city... for the entire three months?!

He suddenly put his phone to his chest and mouthed to me.

Error: Hi Ink.

I waved back but didn't anything since he was on a phone call. He went back to yelling at the person named Damien.

Error: I have to be there by the end of next month. I can't miss that meeting. If we lose this deal, I won't be able to expand the business into the city.

There was silence for a second. Then, Error sighed.

Error: Shit. Guess I'll have to drive. A road trip there should take about three days. I'm home so I'll call you later. Alright, bye.

He lightly dropped his phone onto the island before rubbing his face. He walked over to the couch and sat next to me. I took a second to admire his outfit. He was wearing a white button shirt and a black trench coat, discarding the normal black suit.

Me: So... how was work?

Error: Exhausting.

  He groaned as he leaned against the back of the couch.

Me: What was that about?

Error: I received an offer for a building in the city. I have to be there by the end of next month. However there are no flights. So... now I have to drive.

Me: That's seems difficult.

Error: That's what happens when you run a business.

  I hummed before going back to my homework. I felt Error shift forward, using his knee as support. He silently checked my answers for my homework.

Error: All of them are correct. Good job, Ink.

Me: Oh really? I wasn't expecting that.

Error smiled as he nodded. There was a moment of silence but my guardian broke it.

Error: Hey, Ink. Do you mind if I go take a nap? I'm really tired.

Me: No I don't mind.

He stood up and walked down the hallway and to his bedroom. And again, I was left alone to my own thoughts. I began to draw since I had finished my work.

(Time Skip)

I curled into a ball, not a single fiber of me wanted to sleep. It was all because of the rain outside. An unknown amount of minutes passed until I groaned before pushing myself up from my bed.

I tightened my brown scarf while walking through the hall. When I entered the living room, I stopped and stared.

Error was sitting on the couch with a blanket wrapped around him and drinking wine. A television show was playing and he seemed to be focused on it. Mello played on her cat tree.

Suddenly, Error spoke to me.

Error: Can't sleep, Ink?

He softly said and turned his head towards me.

Me: No. I've never been able to sleep through rain. For as long as I can remember.

Error: There are some blankets on the rack if you want to hang out here.

  I grabbed a blanket before sitting on the opposite end of the couch. I watched the show that Error was watching. It seemed to be very dramatic.

~~~~Flashback~~~~

Ink's POV (Age: 8)

I hid under the covers as thunder could be heard outside the house. It was loud and terrifying.

Throwing the covers to the side, I rushed out of my room and down the stairs. I entered the living room, desperately looking for ____. He was sleeping on the couch.

The reason he was here in the first place was because he was taking care of me. My parents were gone for the week on a business trip.

I walked up to ____ and whispered to him. However, he couldn't hear me. I lightly pushed him to wake him up. His eyes slowly opened once I pushed a little harder.

???: What's wrong, Ink?

He quietly asked with a tired yet concerned expression.

Me: I can't sleep. I don't like the rain.

???: Oh, okay.

He pushed himself up and grabbed his laptop from the coffee table. He opened it and did something for a few seconds. Then music began to play.

???: Lo-fi music always helps me sleep.

I watched him set the laptop back on the table and then lay down once more. He lifted the blanket up he was using for me, like what my parents would always do.

Crawling under the blanket, I hugged ____ to comfort myself. He rubbed my back and somewhat hummed, which relaxed me.

  I felt my eyes become heavy. Before I officially fell asleep, I could have sworn I heard ____ say...

"I'm going to miss you, Ink."