Chapter 10 - The Sound of a Beat

Ink's POV

  I yawned as I stared at the teacher who endlessly talked. He was talking about something that I wasn't really interested in. That is... until he started handing papers on our desks.

  Looking down, I read the paper. I instantly felt my confidence drop. It was a history project.

Teacher: Each of you will make a detailed presentation over an assigned culture. I will give you what culture you will study over. The project is due next Monday so you have the entire week and the weekend to work on this. The required length of the presentation is twenty slides.

  I noticed that I was assigned to study the history of monsters. This made me realize that I didn't know my own heritage.

  The bell rang, resulting in students standing up before grabbing their backpacks. I sat there for a second but stood up to leave.

  Tisha was next to the door, waiting for me. She didn't have the same history class.

Tisha: Hey Ink.

Me: Hi.

Tisha: Were you assigned a project?

Me: Yeah.

  We walked down the hallway and towards the front door as it was the end of the school day. I stared at my phone to check my notifications. Tisha scanned her paper.

Tisha: What culture were you given?

Me: The history of Monsters.

Tisha: Damn. I have Guam. Looks like you're going to have to work on this on your own.

(Time Skip)

  I closed the door behind me and stretched after the boring day of school.

'I need to finish the rest of my homework before working on the project.'

  Mello got up from the couch. I rubbed her head after resting my backpack on the floor. The house was silent but there was noise coming from the kitchen.

  I found Error sitting at the island, drinking coffee while looking at his computer. The glasses that he was wearing reflected the screen. He seemed to be in a serious mood.

Me: Hey Error.

  My guardian flinched before looking in my direction. A tiny smile appeared on his face which made a smile show on mine.

Error: I didn't know you were home. How was school?

  I shrugged while getting a drink from the fridge. While I took a sip, I remembered my project. I wondered if Error could help me.

Me: Um Error?

Error: Yes?

Me: Can you help me with my history project? I have to cover the history of monsters.

  He hummed and closed his laptop.

Error: Our past is full of ups and downs. Personally I think our past was very fun to learn about.

Me: Can you help?

Error: Of course.

  He stood up from his chair and walked over to the bookshelf that was next to the television. He pulled out a large purple book. The symbol on it resembled a shield with a pair of wings. He set the book on the coffee table before sitting down at the couch.

  I followed him and took my place next to him. I leaned in to get a look at the pages. There were a lot of words with little to no pictures.

Error: Let's start at the simplest part before tackling the detailed parts.

Two hours later and we were still studying the book. The living room was quiet with the only sounds being Error's voice.

  Error read the history book while I listened, occasionally taking notes covering the most important parts. I had to be honest, our past was way different then I thought it was. Humans used to hate us.

  A yawn escaped from my mouth, leading me to check the time. It was late at night.

  I tried to relax by leaning back. As time passed, the more tired that I got. My head grew heavy and ended up rested against the back of the couch. My eyes began to close and I suddenly fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My consciousness came back to me. For some reason, I heard the sound of a soul beat which was something that I haven't heard in a long time. Looking up, I realized that I was leaning against Error's chest. He was sleeping.

His breathing was slow and his soul beat was... calming to listen to. I stayed still to listen to his breathing and soul.

  After enjoying the silence I stood up, making sure not to wake Error up. I picked up the history book that was on the floor and gathered my supplies. I needed to get ready for school in a few hours.

  Going up to my room, I plugged in my phone and crawled into bed for some extra rest. As I laid there, I thought about Error's soul beat and breathing...

And how calm he was