Chapter 5 - First Argument

Ink's POV

  I quickly turned around to find where Error's voice came from. The living room was dark but the dim nightlight from the kitchen outlined a silhouette. I knew it was my guardian based on strongly built shoulders.

  Error had his arms resting on the back of the couch, a glass of wine in one hand. He was wearing his black suit but his tie was loose.

  His voice pulled me from my thoughts.

Error: I thought I said you should be home by nine and yet... it's four in the morning. I hope you have a good excuse, Ink.

I stuttered as I fiddled with my brown scarf. My voice seemed to not exist while my mind tried to furiously create an excuse. Error took a sip from his wine.

Error: That's what I thought. Now tell me...

He set his glass on the table, stood up and walked towards me. I began blushing rainbow as he got closer to me. As he continued to speak, his voice stayed terrifyingly calm.

Error: Where were you?

I looked away before making eye contact with him.

Me: I was at a party.

My guardian sighed as he backed away.

Error: You shouldn't be doing that, Ink.

I started getting pissed. Must be because I'm a teenager.

Me: You can't tell me what I can and can't do, Error.

Error's expression suddenly cracked, revealing a more angry look. His voice increased to a yell.

Error: Oh! I'm sorry that I want to protect you, Ink! I'm sorry that I want to keep you away from murderers, sexual assaulters, pedophiles, and other crazy fucking people! And do you know when they are most prominent? At fucking night! Go ahead, go to parties and other bullshit like that because "I can't tell you what to do"! So don't come to me when you get raped by some fucking forty year old!

I stepped back. For some reason, I felt hurt by Error yelling at me. Black tears started to roll down my cheeks.

Error: But do you want to know something?! I stayed up all night because I was worried about you, Ink.

Error sighed angrily as he walked away. He grabbed a glass and a bottle of wine before going to his bedroom. I stood there in silence as I processed what had happened. I felt hurt because I made Error angry and in return... he yelled at me.

I ran to my bedroom and climbed into my bed, beginning to cry. Suddenly, I felt something touch the back of my leg and then there was a small meow.

Me: Not right now, Mello.

After a few minutes of crying. I tried doing what I always did to calm myself down, I looked at one of my favorites memories.

  When I was younger, I would hide under the bed, playing hide and seek with my caretaker. However, I couldn't seem to remember their name or their appearance. I was six at the time.

~~~~Flashback~~~~

  I giggled as I hid from ____. I heard my door open and then footsteps.

???: I wonder where Ink could be.

  I put my hand over my mouth, trying to be quiet. All of a sudden, the covers were lifted and I saw ____ staring at me with a grin.

???: Found you~

  They sang as they pulled me out. I playfully screamed as they threw me into the air before catching me. ____ held me in their arms, allowing me to be at eye level with them. I wrapped my arms around their shoulders as I hugged them.

???: You wanna eat?

Me: Yeah. Can we eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

???: Sure.

  We went to the kitchen. ____ sat me on the counter so they could grab plates. After making food, they handed me one. I took small bites. ____ wiped the corner of my mouth with their thumb.

(Time Skip)

  I watched a movie while ____ sat next to me. They pushed their glasses up and rubbed their eyes, causing me to become curious in what they were doing.

Me: What are you doing?

???: I am reading a book about Egyptian mythology.

Me: What's that?

???: It's hard to explain since you're still very young. Also it's sorta complicated, even for me.

  They looked at their book again and quietly sighed to themself. I pointed at the TV with a smile.

Me: You want to watch this movie?

  ____ stared at me before nodding, closing their book in the process. They picked me and put me in their lap. As for me, I took their glasses and fiddled with them.

???: Be careful with them. That's my only set.

  We were watching the movie and it came to the part where the female protagonist falls in love with their savior. I looked up at ____ before asking them.

Me: Are you in love with anyone?

???: Yes actually.

  However, before I could ask who it was, the front door opened. My parents walked in. Both of them seemed very tired. I jumped out of ____'s lap and ran to them. My mother looked at ____.

Mom: Thank you ____, for looking after Ink for us. We know you're busy with your music, school, and work.

???: It's no problem, really. I can always find time to watch over Ink.

  ____ gathered their stuff and headed towards the front door. I waved at them as I watched them leave.

~~~~End of Flashback~~~~

  I felt myself begin to fall asleep. The memory of ____ always helped me calm down. I still couldn't remember their name. All I remembered, was that they wore glasses...

I wonder what they're doing