Chapter 42 - Home Sick

Ink's POV

I scrolled through social media while sitting at one of the tables in the cafeteria. Tisha was running a bit late as her previous class was holding her for a few minutes.

A folder that was placed on the table not so far away almost stared ominously at me. I knew I needed to open it but I didn't want to during my break between classes.

Eventually I saw a girl sit in front in front me. Looking up from my phone I saw my best friend.

Tisha: I swear I am going to slap those bitches one day.

She annoyingly sighed as her tied her several braids into a ponytail.

Me: What happened?

Tisha: So Laura thinks that her boyfriend is cheating on her with Emily. She confronted her and they got into a fight about it. We still don't know if he is actually cheating or not but Emily said that she is no longer going to be friends with Laura. What a lie. We all know she is going to text Laura late tonight and they're going to be best friends again.

I nodded but I didn't really have interest in her other friend group since they seemed like bad people to me.

Tisha pointed towards the folder that was on the table and questioned why it was there. I flipped it open and pulled out the stacks of papers that were in it.

Me: The end of the year is in three weeks but some of my teachers decided to give the study material for finals early.

Tisha: None of my morning teachers have given me anything yet. By the way, how's Error? I heard that sickness is getting everyone, both humans and monsters.

Me: He's still sick. He hasn't gone to work in two days.

Tisha: Damn, that bad?

I nodded again. I was worried about Error because of how sick he was. He has been a little better but not well enough to go back to daily life. Before I left for school today, Error was in a sneezing fit and having a heat flash.

Tisha and I continued to talk and eat for the rest of the lunch hour. We brought up the conversation of final studies and applying for colleges. It made me somewhat sad knowing that this was my last few weeks of high school.

(Time Skip)

I opened the door and entered the living room. The first thing that I heard was the TV. It was playing one of the Soup Operas that Error liked to watch. And there he was, laying on the couch with a blanket over him. Mello was curled in a ball on his chest and sleeping peacefully.

There was also a glass on the coffee table that was accompanied by a few wine bottles that were empty.

Error looked up at me as I walked past to him to join him on the other side of the couch. I noticed that he looked exhausted, like he hadn't slept in days.

Error: Hey. How was... the place where you go to get the education?

Me: School?

Error: Yeah that. How was it?

Me: It was okay. Tisha and I were looking at colleges to apply for.

Suddenly, Error broke down into tears.

Error: Oh my god. You are growing up so fast. I still remember when you were a little kid and I wanted to kill myself.

My eyes widened and I looked at Error with concern. Mello woke up from her quiet nap and stared at him as well.

Me: Are you okay?

Error: No. I'm drunk and I just happen to be the emotional type.

I leaned on him and gave him a reassuring smile.

Me: At least it's not the angry type. Why are you drunk anyway?

Error: All the cleaning has already been done and there is nothing from work. I have nothing to do except drink wine and watch Soup Operas.

Error gasped and put his hands to his mouth.

Error: I'm like an old woman. Inky, please tell me. Am I old?

I was speechless to say the least. I had never known Error like this so I didn't know how to respond.

Me: No, no. You're not old. Twenty-eight is a very good age.

Error: But that means I'm going to be thirty in two years. That's old and I don't even have a midlife crisis picked out yet.

Me: It'll be okay. I'm sure we can find you a midlife crisis.

At that point, Mello had jumped off Error in order to go to her cat tree. There she would be able to nap without any more interruptions. I laid down with him under the blanket as it was clear he needed comfort. I gave him permission to hug me as we watched his TV show.

During the episode, it seemed that Error fell asleep as I didn't hear him say anything for a while. I had almost thought about sleeping with him but I reminded myself that I had to study that night.

Regretfully, I stood up from the couch and left my boyfriend behind. Despite my best effort to sneak away quietly I still managed to wake Error up. He growled and he pinched his nose bridge.

Error: I am going to have such a bad hangover when this wine wears off.

Me: I'll be here for you when you get up.

I said as I kissed him on the forehead.

Error: Okay. Love you.

I smiled and blushed rainbow.

Me: ...

I love you too