Chapter 18 - The Big City

Ink's POV

  I drew in my sketchbook while sitting in the backseat of Error's car. He was currently in a meeting, attempting to buy buildings within the big city.

There was suddenly a tap on the window which caught my attention. I looked up and saw Error. I smiled at him before opening the car door.

After getting out, I noticed that there was a large dark green werewolf.

  The suit that he wore almost couldn't handle the amount of muscles that he had. The fur on his head was pulled back into a ponytail for sorts.

  The wolf showed a welcoming toothy grin.

Error: Ink, this is Damien. He's my secretary and my friend since college.

  Damien shook hands with me.

Damien: Nice to finally meet you, jailbait.

Me: Jailbait?

  Error looked at him with a glare.

Damien: Sorry. It's just a nickname that I have for you. It's doesn't have a meaning.

I was confused by it but I didn't say anything.

Damien: Anyway, let's celebrate winning the deal and Error's twenty-eighth birthday.

  My guardian's eyes slightly opened when his birthday was mentioned. I had the same expression. Error glanced at me before looking at Damien again.

  The wolf seemed excited about eating. He took Error's keys and unlocked the car. He slid into the front seat, unrolling the window.

Damien: Get in, slow pokes.

  Error put his hand on my back, motioning for me to get in. I got back into the backseat while my guardian sat in the passenger seat. Damien started the car before pulling it out of the parking lot.

  The drive to a restaurant was quiet but there were constant exchanges between Error and his secretary. I stared out the window as the tall city buildings passed by.

  I wanted to explore however, we didn't have time because Error needed to prepare for that meeting. Now, hopefully we can sightsee the city.

  I knew we arrived when the car was turned off. We got out and walked into the restaurant. A waiter led us to a table.

  We ate together to celebrate the deal and the birthday of my guardian. Error was pushing his food around with his fork, not looking to be in a mood to eat.

  The waiter stopped by, holding a bottle of champagne. Damien took hold of it before popping the top. The wolf looked at me.

Damien: You drink?

Error: He's eighteen. He's not old enough.

  Error said without breaking focus from his plate. I moved my eyes to him, hoping that he was feeling alright. He seemed quite upset about something.

  I moved my hand under the table and placed it on Error's knee. He made eye contact with me and gave me a tiny smile. I felt his hand gently grab mine.

(Time Skip)

  After getting dressed from the shower, I walked into the hotel room.

  There were two beds and a TV in the center of the opposite wall. There was a desk was in the corner, an AC next to the window, and a nightstand between the beds. Error and I had an amazing view of the city from the window.

  Error was reading a book, in his own world. He wore his glasses and there was a glass of wine on the nightstand. I silently giggled at the fact that he always had alcohol when he read.

  My mind went to today. I couldn't believe that it was Error's birthday... and he didn't tell me.

  I walked over to his bed and sat on the opposite end. I crossed my legs as I waited for him to notice me.

  Error lowered his book, his eyes meeting mine.

Me: Hey.

  He gave me a timid smile.

Error: Hey.

Me: Why didn't you tell me?

  His expression fell at my question.

Error: I never liked my birthday. It brings back bad memories so I try to forget about it. I'm sorry for not telling you, Ink.

  I crawled towards him, laying on his chest and hugging him. He returned the hug with a tight grip. He buried his face into my scarf.

Me: I'm sorry for bringing it up.

Error: It's okay.

  His muffled voice said.

Error: Thank you, Ink...

For caring about me