Chapter 21 - Little Princess

Error's POV

The living room was quiet as I laid still on the couch. I was buried under warmth, instilling the feeling of content in me.

  The unorganized state of the room told the stories of the last night's holiday. Two glasses sat on the coffee table, smudged from the drinks that they had previously held. Blankets sprawled out across the couch, partially covering my legs.

I looked down to see Ink hugging me while he was deep in slumber. A smile appeared on my face as I held him carefully. Ink would never understand how much I loved him unconditionally.

Leaning down, I took the opportunity to gently kiss Ink on the head. He hummed before nuzzling himself closer to my body.

A sudden change of pressure on my stomach caused me to look up. Mello was standing on me while staring at me. I patted my chest to call her over.

The grey cat curled into a ball just under my chin. My hand raised, slowly scratching behind her ear. Mello rubbed her face against my palm.

  Once she was fully comfortable, her eyes gradually closed and she began to purr at my touch. Her and Ink were the most precious beings that I had in my life.

  When I stopped babysitting Ink some years ago, Mello kept my loneliness at bay. I remembered the first day when I adopted my little princess.

~~~~Flashback~~~~

Error's POV (Age: 19)

  I stared at the ceiling of my dorm while laying in my bed. The sickening feeling of separation and heartbreak consumed me.

  I despised the day I had to leave Ink. However, I became an adult and I feared that my romantic feelings for Ink would get me arrested.

  The lack of choices made me choose to let Ink live a life without me, a pedophile.

  Tears formed at the corners of my eyes as I further fell deeper into sadness. Without Ink, I was alone. It wasn't possible for me to look back on my memories without breaking down crying.

  I was broken from my thoughts, hearing the door open. My college friend, Damien, walked into the room. His ears dropped slightly as he saw me.

Damien: Why are you crying again? Is it because of jailbait?

I nodded before turning over to the face the wall.

Damien: We need to do something about that because it seems that your sadness is getting worse.

There was silence between us as Damien shuffled around the room.

Damien: I'm taking your gay ass to the pet store.

Me: Why?

Damien: So we can get you a pet.

  I felt him start to drag me off the bed. The protests from me were fruitless as my wolf friend forced me out the door and into the my car downstairs.

The car ride to town was silent. I rested my head against the window and watched the buildings pass by. I couldn't will myself to express happiness.

Once the car was parked in front of a store, Damien and I entered the building. I looked around while making mental notes in my head.

The floor had pastel colored tiles and black mats were laid out in front of the registers. A health department was to my right, half full with clients. Racks created several aisles with each of them containing their own category of products.

Many signs hung from ceiling, each with their own name. I spotted a one that read cats. My curiosity caused me to walk in that direction.

There was a wall of windows which allowed people to see cages that housed felines. My eyes spotted a small grey kitten playing with her toy.

My hand grabbed the glass door before pulling it open. The cats turned their head towards me, starting to approach the bars for attention.

  I pet them but my interest couldn't be taken from the grey kitten. She was staring at me with fern green eyes.

  The kitten rubbed her head against the bars as I moved to her. I used my finger to pet her head. A smile grew on my face.

  My eyes glanced at the document hanging from the wall, reading her information. The kitten didn't have a name which made me think about creating one.

'She's really calm for her age. Another word for calm is mellow. Take the W off and the word is mello. Mello is it then.'

  An employee walked into the room. She had a sweet smile on her face as she greeted me. The tag on her chest told me that her name was Tix.

Tix: How can I help you?

Me: I wish to adopt this grey cat.

Tix: Alright. You'll have to sign some documents and see if you're eligible for having a pet. Do you want to hold her first?

  I nodded and stepped away, allowing her to open the cage. Tix handed Mello to me carefully. The small cat put her paws on my chest and rubbed her head against mine.

  In that moment, I knew that...

Mello was the one