Chapter 7 - Eighteen Birthday

Ink's POV

  I took notes while scanning a book over the topic of renaissance art. The art from the older ages was truly better than the modern ages of art.

I was sitting in the library, the one place that was quiet in the school. Students read books and studied for future quizzes. If someone wanted to be alone, this was the place.

There was a small whisper that distracted me from my studies. Looking up, I saw Tisha which made a smile appear on my face. I made sure that my voice was quiet before speaking.

Me: Hey.

Tisha: Hey Ink.

She pulled out a chair and sat in it. I noticed that she was staring at me from the corner of my eye.

Me: Is something wrong?

Tisha: No but uh... how did it go? With your guardian.

Me: It was... it was rough.

Tisha: I'm sorry for getting you in trouble, Ink. I didn't know your guardian was that strict about curfew.

I shook my hand to tell her that everything was fine. My eyes went back to scanning the book but Tisha started talking again.

Tisha: Do you want to hang out tonight? No parties... just me and you. I promise you will get home before the end of your curfew.

It was quiet as I thought. I ended up nodding to her.

For the rest of the hour, we exchanged small talk as we studied for upcoming quizzes.

(Time Skip)

I sat next to Tisha, staring at the brightly lit city. My friend had drove us to a hill that overlooked the place we lived in. Tisha's car was parked behind us, the back opened to act as a seat.

The air was calm since there was no wind and the temperature was nice.

'Maybe I should come up here again to draw. This place is calming.'

My thoughts were interrupted by my friend.

Tisha: You know, Ink, your birthday is tomorrow.

Me: Yeah I know. I'll be eighteen, which is great.

I said with sarcasm.

Tisha: Why don't you sound happy. You'll officially be an adult.

Me: That's the problem. I have to worry about going to college, keeping my job, and other adultly stuff. I don't even know how to drive!

Tisha: Oh.

That was all she said as she looked at the city again. I pulled my legs to my chest, curling into a ball. Becoming an adult was one of the things that I feared. There were so many things that people have to worry about when they get older and that terrified me.

I slipped out my phone to check the time.

Me: It's almost nine. We should get going.

We stood up before heading to the vehicle. I sat in the passenger seat and stared out the window. I knew the ride home was going to be silent.

Once we arrived at Error's house, I trudged to the front door with a tired expression on my face.

The door opened to show my guardian laying on the couch. He was on his phone and petting Mello, who sleeping on his stomach.

Error still had a suit on which surprised me.

'How is he comfortable in that?'

Error: Hey.

My guardian greeted me without looking away from his device.

Me: Hi.

I mumbled, walking towards the hallway. I immediately flopped onto my bed when I entered my bedroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My hand rubbed the corner of my eye as I stumbled into the living room. I looked around but stopped when I spotted Error in the kitchen. He was wearing a button-up shirt and slacks. I guessed that was his less formal attire.

However, the thing that shocked me was that he had a small cake with a candle. An tiny smile appeared on Error's face as he began to speak.

Error: Happy Birthday, Ink.

Me: You knew?

I questioned while walking into the kitchen and staring at the cake.

Error: I've always known.

He supported himself against the counter with his forearms. I pulled out a stool and leaned against it as well. Error motioned towards the cake, essentially telling me to blow out the flame.

I was given a slice to eat but Error didn't get one himself.

Me: Are you not going to have a piece?

Error: It's not my cake.

He said as he walked towards a cabinet and pulled out a bottle of wine.

Me: You can have some. We should be sharing it.

Error took a sip from his wine glass. Then, he sighed in defeat.

In the process of eating, I thought to myself. One thing popped into my mind...

Error smiled at me