27

now playing... angelic, park jisung

ılılılllıılılıllllıılılllıllı

chapter twenty seven - the truth

"You," Jisung said, fighting the urge to smile.

Eventually, he gave in and let a smile form on his face. He bumped their shoulders together, causing her to let out a small laugh.

"Where'd you go just a minute ago?" Yuna asked.

Jisung chose to not tell her about Mark, just to avoid suspicion, "Oh, I just went on a small walk. Mental prep, you know?"

Yuna nodded, "Hey if you don't want to talk about this stuff, we don't have to."

"Just shut up and ask me a question so I can go back to ignoring you."

"Geez, okay," she said, softening her voice after. "Um, well, why do you live alone? Where are your parents?"

Jisung took a deep breath and clutched his blanket in his hand, "I... they aren't around."

"Really? I'm sorry, do you still talk to them though?"

"No. They left when they found out I was a demon," he said, tears threatening to form in his eyes, "I guess they couldn't handle having a kid that was a monster. Guess they couldn't handle having someone like me, someone who kills innocents. So they gave me up. I have a long memory, so I can remember everything. I still remember her disgusted look."

Yuna's throat tightened. Her empty feeling felt amplified. She felt tears prick at her eyes, stinging like popping oil on a stove. She tensed herself so they wouldn't fall, but she was on edge. Something was off, she wasn't used to feeling so different. It was like everything was doubled. It only made her feel so horrible that she felt sick.

It felt like everything in Jisung's life was her fault, like she could have done something to save him. Maybe she could have comforted young Jisung.

"I'm sorry I've been so hard on you," Jisung said, "It's just that you have angel friends, literally the definition of good. You seem to have a nice family, even though I don't like your dad, he gives a shit about you, something I can't say about mine. And you're good to everyone. I just... I hate it. I hate that things work out for you, and then I know they won't work like that for me. I've had a false hope for so long that it made me the way I am."

Tears slowly dripped onto Jisung's mask, his fists loosely clenched. He wasn't sure if sharing this with her was smart, but it made him feel a little better. Even if Mark strengthened their bond, it felt like it had been there for years.

"I'm so sorry, Jisung. You've had such a hard time and I... I disregarded it. I was too caught up in trying to paint a picture of my life that it's never been. I kept hating you for being mean to me when I didn't even know the full story. I let my friends into my head. I didn't pay attention, I'm sorry," Yuna said, her voice wavering.

Jisung inhaled shakily, "It's fine. You wouldn't know half of the things I've been feeling."

"Then tell me," Yuna said, moving to take off his mask.

"I can't," he said, sharply removing her hand, "it's complicated."

"Then give me something to think on," she whispered.

"My own mother thought I was a monster, she was right of course but it still hurt."

ılılılllıılılıllllıılılllıllı

A sad/emotional chapter because it's about time