38

now playing... angelic, park jisung

ılılılllıılılıllllıılılllıllı

chapter thirty eight - lights brighter than the fireflies

Jisung reluctantly got out of the driver's seat and switched spots with Yuna. As much as he despised having someone drive him, it wasn't his car.

"Okay," Yuna said once she was seated comfortably, "I'm going to take us somewhere. It's to make up for my selfish ass."

"Really, it's okay," Jisung said, but he was cut off.

"Just shut up and enjoy the ride."

After a few minutes, Jisung spoke, "Hey, we forgot to get your pajamas."

"Oh well. Yours are more comfortable anyways," she said.

After that, Jisung silenced with his lips pressed together.

Yuna made a few turns, and she made sure to go the backway so Jisung didn't recognize where they were going. When she got there, she stopped the car.

"Let's go," she said, getting out of the car.

Jisung followed suit with a puzzled look on his face, "Why are we outside of a hotel?"

"It's... above. Follow me," she said, grabbing his wrist and pulling him inside the hotel.

They passed many people with fancy clothes on. Some people sent them questionable looks, but they ignored it. Yuna opened a door with a red sign that said 'roof' on it. They went up a staircase and were soon met with the cool air of the night. 

"Yuna, why are we on the roof of this place?" Jisung said, moving to the center in case she was going to push him off (not that he thought she would-).

"Look," she said, pointing to the east side of the roof. 

Jisung walked over and saw that they had a clear view of the light show.

"How... it ended yesterday?" 

"No," Yuna said, "it runs twice. Now we can watch it."

"Oh wow," Jisung said, unable to form words.

"But first give me your ticket," she said jokingly. 

"I don't have one... but I have this," he said, pulling out Yuna's unused ticket from the previous night.

"I'm still sorry, Jisung," she said, accepting the ticket. 

Jisung nodded, signaling he understood. Just before they said anything, Yuna ripped up her ticket. Jisung stared at her wide-eyed, it was a hundred-dollar ticket.

"Don't worry," she said, noticing his facial expression, "I'll pay you back."

Jisung waved her off, "Don't worry about it."

Yuna walked to the edge of the balcony. It was windy outside, so she could do something. She motioned Jisung over, and he stopped next to her. She cupped the sheds of paper in her hands and said, "Blow."

"Huh?" 

"Blow the paper off. Consider it closure."

Jisung chuckled, bending down and sliding his mask slightly up, blowing the pieces off of her hands. He made sure that she couldn't see his face. They fluttered off of the balcony, getting swept up by the wind. It looked like they were doing a dance. 

"Thank you," he said, smiling through his mask at her.

"Of course. Now let's go watch the show."

Jisung and Yuna sat on a couch close to the edge of the balcony, watching the fireworks and lights on the building flash. The lights contorted to swans, tigers, anything they could imagine. 

Yuna rested her head on Jisung's shoulder, taking in the moment. He was warm, very different from the cold air. After a bit, she started shivering slightly.

"What? Little angel child can't take the cold?" Jisung said, teasing her. 

"No," she breathed, "It's too cold."

Jisung took her hand in his, allowing his hands to heat up and appear slightly red with sparks. 

"Thanks," the girl said, still watching the lights, "I'm glad we got to do this."

Jisung sighed contentedly, "Me too."

That night, Yuna fell asleep in her usual spot on the floor, but she could still feel the warmth of Jisung's hands and the calming feeling of his breath hitting her neck.

The next day, they went to school like normal, except that Yuna chose to eat in her car instead of the cafeteria. Things were tense between Jisung and Jeno's tables, but she wasn't there to see it so it didn't bother her.

In fact, often she found herself alone. Of couse Jisung was always physically there, but she was lost in her own thoughts. They barely talked after the light show.

When the weekend rolled around, she stayed in her makeshift bed, always on her phone. She only got up to freshen up and eat. Often her and Jisung ate frozen pizza because they were both too lazy to cook. 

The only day she decided to do something different was on Sunday. Instead of wasting the day away, she talked to her soulmate once again. 

Hey

what now

I don't know. I'm still conflicted over this soulmate thing

how

Because we're supposed to end up together 

And you show no plans for that

not all soulmates fall in love

it's just wishful thinking 

Even so, I can't help but want to meet you. 

Everyone at school either found their soulmate or are in long-distance love with them

so? they're not us

Still, it's sad

well, life's sad 

also, your emotional turmoil makes my head hurt 

what is it even about

In truth, I don't even know

I just have this pull towards someone

I don't like it and I don't want it

But it's there. And he hates me too so I try not to like him.

what's his name?

Park Jisung

ılılılllıılılıllllıılılllıllı

yes yes, a little nice moment for them