52

Reagan sat on the floor as she flipped through Benny's spellbook. She was hoping there could be something to come in handy for their battle against Stern. Benny was in the armchair as he tried to think. He did not want to be sitting around, there had to be a way to fix his best friend. 

"You know what. Enough is enough." Benny stands from the armchair. "We have gone up against all kinds of crazy stuff before, and we always win! You're the guy who pulls it together. Every time. So pull it together!"

Reagan gets back onto her two feet and stands beside Benny. "Okay, let's maybe take a gentle approach when our friend is obviously not himself next time, okay?" Sarah enters the living room with her phone in her hand.

"I just talked to Erica. She didn't sound like herself. She's leaving town with Rory, and the entire Vampire Council's running." Sarah kneels to Ethan's level beside the couch. "Ethan, we need your help. If we can't stop Stern, who knows what's going to happen to us."

Ethan opens his eyes and looked at his three best friends, and their skin was still grey with their white eyes. "Look, I can't let anything happen to you guys." He sighs as he stands from the sofa. "Your grandma said that I had to find something stronger than fear. I think I did."

He held out his hands and gestured to the three. "Here..." They look at his hands and intertwine their hands together, suddenly feeling a surge of energy flow through them. "Do you feel that?" Sarah asks.

"Yeah, what is that?" Reagan questions.

"Dude, are we having a moment?"

Ethan takes a deep breath and looks at his friends, no longer scared by their faces as they went back to normal. "I'm okay, as long as I don't let the fear through. We can do this."

"We're on our own against Stern." 

*

"Guys, don't freak out," Ethan tells them as they stood waiting for Ethan's plan. "I've thought it over and this is our best shot, okay?" He turns around and motions for somebody to come in. 

Jesse.

Sarah and Reagan instantly hiss at him while Benny took a step closer to Reagan. "You three aren't very happy to see me, I can tell."

"Oh, can you?" Reagan sarcastically questions, her hands glowing red. "You bit our best friend!" Benny exclaims.

"And you made me suck out the venom when you knew what it would do!" Sarah adds. 

"And I'd love to be sorry about that, but you all know I've done much worse," Jesse tells them.

"Later. The man who has the Lucifractor is related to the wizard you took down 200 years ago." Ethan says to Jesse. "Sinestro family revenge; what a shock."

"How did you stop his super-great grandfather?" Benny asks.

"He loved power." Jesse answers. "He loved to show it off. I let him wipe most of my flock with the Lucifractor while I snuck up behind him and drained him dry. I told you I've done worse."

Jesse smirks as he looks down at Reagan. "I'm guessing you're aware of the situation; what you'll be needing to do if our plan doesn't work."

"What is he talking about?" Benny asks, looking down at his girlfriend. Reagan didn't look at him as she glared at Jesse. "Nothing, don't listen to him. He doesn't know what he's talking about."

Jesse discreetly brings his fingers to his lips, pretending to zip and lock his lips shut with a mocking grin.

Reagan remembered why she didn't like him.