08

"Think about it, dude!" Benny says to Ethan as the two of them walk into Whitechapel High. "Anything we want. Cash, cars, candy."

"So you can only use magic spells for stuff that starts with 'c'?" Ethan questions.

Benny sighs. "Once we were lowly high school noobs. Now we're vampire killing, spell-casting rockstars! The world is our oyster."

Ethan gives him a look. "Have you ever actually had oysters? Not something you want to swallow--more like something you'd cough up."

"Yeah, nice. Nice image to start the day. There's the image I need!" Benny motions his head to the lockers and Ethan follows where his friend was looking at.

Reagan Sullivan. A rocking new vampire. Also, known as the love of Benny's life. Ever since the Dusker situation, the two have grown closer than before. There were moments where the Weir boy believed that she liked him, but he was never too sure. But today would be different.

"Still fawning over Reagan? You know, you have no chance with her if you don't do something about it." Ethan tells his friend.

"Oh, I'm going to do something about it," Benny smirks. "I'm going to make her jealous."

"With who?" Ethan questions.

"In my eyes, no one compares to Reagan. But, the next best thing will be her." Benny points over to Della, a sweet and popular girl that half of the boys were in love with, the other half in love with Reagan.

"Hey, guys."

The two boys jump as they look away from Della and look at the sound of the voice.

"Reagan. Hey." Benny smiles.

"Are you guys planning on going to class?" Reagan asks the two.

"In a second." Benny answers. "There's this babe I've been wanting to talk to." He turns to Ethan. "I know you're the 'see-er' and all, but I can see her with me."

Reagan felt a poke of jealously in her heart as her stomach suddenly had a bad feeling. She knew that Benny was always a flirt and that he could never like her back, but why does it still hurt to see him like someone else?

Reagan mentally shoves her jealously down as she scoffs. "Keep the magic on a down low, remember?"

"Life just got back to normal," Ethan adds.

Benny looks between the two. "Would you relax? I got this." He puts his hand behind his back and conjures up flowers, making his way up to Della.

Reagan sighs, not wanting to see their interaction. "I'm going to class."

As she walks away, she passes Sarah who gave her a concerning look when she saw how sad her friend looked. She caught up to Ethan, standing by his side.

"What's wrong with Reagan?" Sarah asks, referring to Reagan.

Ethan looks at Benny before back to Sarah. "Oh, nothing. Just Benny being his normal self."

Before Sarah could comment, crying was heard in the background. Ethan and Sarah watch as Benny comes back from a crying Della.

"Great news; Della's dog died." He tells them.

They look at the boy in surprise. "And that's good news?" Sarah questions. She looks around making sure the Sullivan girl was nowhere around. "But what happened to you liking Reagan?"

Benny's eyes widen, so did Ethan's. Sarah laughs. "Oh, please. It's so obvious. I'm just surprised Reagan hasn't noticed considering how smart she is. Your secret is safe with me."

Benny sighs. "Yes, you're right. I do like Reagan. I always have. But you know me. I'm not the greatest at explaining how I feel, especially when it comes to her. So, we're going a different route. Maybe she'll be jealous enough to admit her feelings."

"Well, regardless if that's a good idea or not, just be careful. You shouldn't be messing with another girl's feelings because you're trying to figure out Reagan's." Sarah turns to walk away.

"What if somebody magically brought her dog back? Can you imagine how grateful she would be?" Benny suggests.

Ethan hesitates. "No! No, Benny. You cannot bring her dead dog back to life!" Ethan exclaims.

"Come on!" Benny whines. "Once I bring Della's dog back, she will be over me, causing Reagan to feel the need to confess her feelings for me."

"Again, no!" Benny starts to walk away. "Benny, stop! If Harry Potter were here, he'd smack you around!"

*

"What?! So now I can't even get babysitting money?" Sara questions Ethan as they were on the phone. "Great, perfect." Behind them, Erica suddenly appears and Reagan throws the blonde a smile as Sarah continues talking to Ethan. "Forget it. I still have other options. See ya."

"So, how is your little pet nerd?" Erica asks Sarah, who gasps before turning around.

"Oh, you know--nerdy." Sarah answers. "Look, the reason I wanted to talk to you is that--"

Erica gasps. "You two changed your minds about flying down to the city this weekend? I knew it. We are going to tear it up!"

Reagan raises an eyebrow. "Still a no."

Sarah sighs. "Erica, you know fledglings can't fly. Not for free. Which is why I need to ask you... can I... borrow some money? I'll pay you back."

"Money?" Erica repeats. "If you would just wake up and smell the platelets, then you can take whatever you want and whoever you want."

Reagan shakes her head while Sarah spoke. "I understand. But I just thought--"

Erica reveals her fangs. "In Fangs we trust. All others pay cash!" In the background, three jocks from school came from around the corner. "Ah! My food's here. Call me when you're... ready." Erica pats the two girl's shoulder before walking past them and to the jocks.

Sarah sighs and turns to Reagan. "So... what are you gonna do about the Benny situation?"

Reagan's awkwardly chuckles. "What Benny situation? There is no Benny situation."

The fledgling gives her friend a look. "Anyone with correct vision could see that you were jealous! Admit it! You like Benny!"

"Okay!" Reagan throws her hands up in surrender. "I like Benny. But there's nothing I could do about it. He's my best friend. We just got back on good terms. I can't ruin our friendship just because I have... feelings for him."

"Well sometimes, you just need to take chances in life." Sarah smiles at the girl. "Remember what I told you on the first day of school? You and Benny are meant to be. Everybody could see that."

Reagan groans as they continue walking. "Feelings are weird."

"So is jealousy," Sarah adds, receiving a light nudge from the Sullivan girl.