Once upon a time in New Jersey

5 th July 1980 / New Jersey 

Christiana's POV

"Please.... it has to be here.... I've checked all the other jewellery stores and pawn brokers" Shoving the photo in his face "Please can you just check again.... it was stolen so it would have been a man that came in and sold it". 

Upon hearing my words the man's expression turned cold and harsh "Alright.... you need to leave kid or you're gonna get into trouble" A spark of evil in his eyes. Suddenly some rough looking men come bounding out the back room, instantly making me panic to the point my body started shaking. "Alright.... Alright I'm going.... I won't be back I promise" Backing up towards the door with my hands raised in the air. 

Once I feel the cool summer breeze on my skin, I let the door close over and make a run for it down the street, limping along on my still tender leg. A squeal bursts from my lips when I connect with someone, sending me stumbling back a few steps. My eyes desperately look to see who I bumped into to make sure it wasn't the man from the store. My panting and gasping slowly comes to a halt when I see a boy in front of me, he has long fluffy light brown hair and he's slightly taller than me. "I--I'm so sorry.... I should have looked where I was going.... I'm sorry" Before he even has a chance to respond, I jog off down the street, limping slightly with each step. In a mad panic, I keep glancing behind me to make sure the men aren't following me and out the corner of my eye, I see the boy still looking at me. 

My body connects with someone again, but this time it sends me hurtling to the pavement, gasping and panting in shock as my ass hits the hard floor. "Oh shit!! I'm sorry!! Are you alright" My head lifts up upon hearing the cheery voice, to see another boy with curly blonde hair. 

"Umm... I think so" , "Here let me help ya up" Reaching out his hands for me. A gentle smile raises his lips, instantly making me smile too "Thankyou" Grasping his hands as I trail off. 

He pulls me up off the ground and steadies me when my tender leg starts stumbling around "You okay?". "Yeah.... I'm sorry I just.... I'm having one of those days" Nervously rubbing my neck in hopes the embarrassment will go away. 

He tilts his head to the side and waves at someone behind me which immediately draws my attention. My eyes widen with more embarrassment when I see he's waving at the first boy I bumped into "Oh gosh... you know him?" Turning back to the curly haired boy with flushed cheeks. 

"Yeah... why?" , "I just bumped into him" My cheeks burning more red by the second. "You really are having a bad day aren't ya? .... I'm Dave by the way" Holding his hand out for me to shake "Hi I'm Christiana..." Grasping his hand and giving it a light shake. "That's Jonny over there.... we're in a band.... we're playin tonight at the Stone Pony... maybe you can come see us?" , "Umm.... Thankyou... maybe I'll stop by" Nodding as I trail off. We both say our goodbyes and just before I walk away, I glance back at Jonny, giving him a gentle smile. He's not too far away so he can still see me smiling at him. 

I'm eventually back at my tiny cramped room that I'm renting while here in New Jersey. I slump myself down on my bed, pulling out my notepad where I keep a list of all the jewellery stores and pawn brokers, grabbing my pen I swipe a line through the last one I went to today, thus ending my escapade for my mothers stolen necklace. I'm here for another week and a half then I need to go home or my dad says he will come and get me himself. We moved back to New York after the accident seeing as we didn't want to be constantly reminded of what happened. I honestly thought it was going to take a whole lot long than 4 days to get the stores round here. I haven't checked everywhere of course but I can always come back later. 

A loud banging on the door catches my attention, causing my head to whip up. I push myself up off the bed, wincing a little in discomfort before limping across to the door. My hand lightly tugs at the door handle, swinging the door open to see the landlord "I need my rent.... Now!!" A sigh of frustration escapes my lips upon hearing his words. My eyes roll to the back of my head as I make my way to my suitcase, grabbing a roll of notes and tossing them to him "There's the rent up to the 18th then I'm leaving". He gives me a quick nod before trailing off to the next door, the torturous banging of his knuckles on the hard wood continuing down the hallway.