Chapter Thirty-One

++++PLAY THE SONG++++

Remember...their names have been changed to Winters, okay? Blame the people who saw the 'similarities' in my story and that...other one. *shiver* *punches hole in the wall*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's time.

It's time for what?

My palms sweated, soaking through my pretty white gloves. Charlotte glanced at me and frowned. 

"What's wrong? You're a sweaty mess!" Charlotte must have seen the terror in my eyes because she gently grabbed my arm and steered me away," You don't look very pretty right now, dear. Come on. Let's go to the powder room."

 "No! No...I'm fine. I just, uh, thought I saw someone I knew."

"Oh...ex huh? If it was someone you liked I don't think you'd be like this."

I nodded and turned to look at Charlotte. "Yeah. Um, where's your brother?"

Charlotte wagged a finger in front of my face. "Now, don't you go liking my dear twin brother, Anna. You know he only kissed you to prove what time of woman you are. Don't go thinking you're special."

I laughed nervously and glanced back to the balcony. They were coming back in. Daniel must not have told William the truth or he'd be a stomping, furious mess.

William smiled when he saw me and quickened his step, almost looking like a little bunny. Reaching my side, Will grabbed my hand and pulled me closer to him. "Want to go dance?"

Without giving me a chance to reply, he twirled me onto the dance floor. I gasped and grabbed a tighter hold on both William's hand and my dress. He squeezed my waist and spun us around, faces blurring as our speed progressed. The tempo in the music changed to match our pace as we sped by everyone. 

I pulled myself closer and smiled. I always loved dancing with William. He had a way of dancing that made you feel like no one was there. Cliche, but true.

As the music slowed to a stop, so did we. I gave slow, little pants and smiled up at William. William smiled back before nodding at the orchestra, halting their preparation for the next song. One of them came over and pinned a tiny microphone to his suit. William tapped it a little before saying thank you to the man.

My smile fled as I wondered what was going.

There were butterflies in my stomach as William turned toward me.

"My dear, beloved Anna... I have a question to ask you..."

William went down on one knee and brought out a velvet box. He opened it up and inside was a beautiful diamond ring. The crowd gasped and women awed. I took a step back and put a hand under my throat.

This...I was not expecting this...

"Anna... we met here, in this house. And as my father gave your hand to me weeks ago, I took you and danced you all around this ballroom, just like we did. And for those of you that know me, you know I'm not in the habit of taking people's hands I've never met before, but I think that my soul knew something that my body and my mind didn't know yet. It knew that we were meant to love each other, fearlessly and forever, which is why it's never really felt like I've been getting to know you. It's always felt like I was remembering you from somewhere."*

My eyes started tearing up and my breath was becoming unsteady. I looked around and I caught Daniel's eyes. He smiled, a devious twinkle in his eye.