Chapter 42

"Maybe...maybe it's better if we just go to the doctors? To get a for sure answer?" I asked, gripping her thighs tightly as Charlotte took another sharp turn.

I can't be pregnant. Am I pregnant? But...wait. We've been using protection! Was there a time we didn't? Think...think...

Oh shit.

The beach getaway. The first time we had sex. I can't remember if we used protection or not. 

"We don't have the time. We have to schedule those things, and if we do just walk in we might not be attended to for hours." Charlotte replied, flicking the turn signal just seconds before rapidly pulling the steering wheel to the side. Anna tightly gripped anything her hand could hold on to as her body swayed to the side. Okay, okay we're fine. We're gonna be fine. Charlotte's just used to the streets of London and that's why she drives this crazily. She won't kill us...Shit! I think I'm gonna throw up!

"WAIT!!! STOP THE CAR!!!" I screamed, trying to pull open the door before the car even stopped. Charlotte cursed and pulled the steering wheel to the right and slamming the brakes, just happening to find a parking spot. "Anna! What the bloody hell?! What are you doing?!"

I pushed open the door and threw up outside, just managing to not hit the inside of the car. I groaned and pulled back, leaning my head on the headrest. Charlotte stared at me with a disgusted look on her face before handing me a water and a napkin. "If you're not pregnant, I'll be extremely surprised."

I wiped my mouth and laughed. "I can't...I can't be pregnant."

Charlotte raised an eyebrow. "And why the bloody hell not?"

"Because if this whole thing explodes, and William finds out the truth, I don't want to bring a child into a world where their parents don't love each other. The child deserves better than that, Char." I said, giving a small smile, laying my hand on top of my stomach where my child could possibly be growing. I've already given up a child once, I do not want to do it again.

"Anna...William won't find out. We'll make sure of it. Have faith." She said, giving me a brilliant smile before putting her hand on the PRNDL* and moving it back to reverse. She glanced once at the mirror before stepping on the gas and the car shooting out of the parking spot.

I closed my eyes and wished for home.

*(Hah. PRNDL. I made myself laugh. Do you get it? PRNDL? Suite Life of Zack and Cody? London thinking the gear shift was called PRNDL? No? No? Okay... :(...)

~

Right after, I grew tired of Charlotte's driving and demanded her to just stop at the nearest gas station. Of course, because I said that, the nearest gas station we saw was covered in graffiti and suspicious green stuff on the walls. Of course.

Charlotte and I sat in the car, staring at the building, having absolutely no idea what to do.

"Anna? Are you sure you want to take a pregnancy test here?"  Charlotte gripped the steering wheel and stared in horror at the building. I smiled weakly and nodded. I didn't want to, but my poor stomach couldn't handle more of Charlotte's driving. Pregnant or not, I sincerely wanted to throw up.

"Yes. A pregnancy test is a pregnancy test. It does not matter where it comes from." I opened the door and stepped outside, readily taking in deep breaths of -sort of- fresh air. Charlotte rolled her eyes and stepped out of the car, locking it with a resounding beep-beep!

"Whatever you say..."

~

The cashier watched us every step of the way in. He was a tall, lanky teenager by the name of Steven, and he hid behind one of those a Sport's Illustrated bikini magazines. I shivered at the way his eyes roamed our bodies and turned away.