Chapter Twelve

Anna's Apartment

A Few Hours After Leaving William

Anna lay on her couch, lazily flipping through the channels on her TV. She was munching on some Doritos when something on the television caught her attention. It was a picture of her, next to William, at the Winter Ball.

Anna sat up in alarm and pressed the volume higher.

Reporter: " It is true what they've said, Cindy. There has been many sources saying that they've seen William and this mystery girl around town lately. And it is true that they've said that she took him to a flea market. Like, can you believe it? A flea market! Other sources have said that this girl spent the night at his apartment after yesterdays annual Winter Ball, and that she spent the whole day there.

"I mean, what is William thinking? What is Daniel thinking, bringing a girl like this around? There have been calls-in about this girl. One source says that she is an actress! Another says that a few years ago she was pregnant and gave the child up for adoption! Others say that she lives in a homeless shelter! Of course, these are just rumors, but what if they were true? William's reputation would be ruined just by hanging out with this girl. She-"

Anna quickly shut off the TV and slumps back into the couch. Those people didn't even know her! So why were they so quick to judge? And who were these reporters? Some members of the William Winters Fan Club?

Anna grabbed her phone and dialed Daniel's number. He picked up on the third ring. "Miss Williams."

"Daniel..."

"If you called just to tell me about the news report, Miss Williams, then you are a few minutes too late."

"So you know? God, Daniel, who do these people think they are? To talk about me like that? They don't even know me!! And they think they can talk about me like that? Daniel... you have to do something about this! I-"

"And what do you think I can do, Miss Williams? I may be a billionaire, but no amount of money will make those people, any type of people, stop talking. All you have to do now... is get used to it!! *

"Everyone even a little bit close to us has to get used to it, Miss Williams, so the sooner you do, the better. Need I remind you that the more time you spend with my son, the more reports there will be about you. These reporters, the paparazzi, will stop at nothing until they know every single thing about you."

Anna gasped and clenched the phone in her hand. She blinked away tears of frustration and sniffled. "Daniel... I don't think I could do this!"

The other line was silent for a few moments, but then Daniel said, "Miss Williams, please do not forget that I hold someone very dear to you in the palm of my hand."

Anna gasped again and yelled, "You can't do that! You signed the contract!"

"And need I remind you that you, as well, signed the contract. So if you break it first, then the contract is void, and I can do as I please, Miss Williams, and there will be nothing you can do."

"You're the devil."

"And you sold your soul to the devil by signing that contract, Miss Williams. This... is by your doing."

"I hate you."

"Careful, Miss Williams, you are speaking to the devil, as you say, and I can make your life very difficult if I wished it."

Anna took a deep breath and it hissed through her teeth as she released it. "Fine! I'm sorry, Mr. Winters. Please forgive me for my lack of sensitivity. I had no means to offend you, oh great and powerful CEO of Winter Enterprises."

"Thank you, Miss Williams. Your sarcasm is so very refreshing."

Anna was tempted to cuss at him, but then ended the call and turned the phone off afterwards, just so he won't be able to call back, but Anna wanted to be the adult here, unlike Daniel. He was acting so childish. *

But he's a dangerous child.

--------------------------------------------------------

Winter Enterprises

Daniel's Office

Daniel snapped the phone shut after his and Anna's conversation had ended. He hated to be mean to the girl, but someone needed to tell her the truth. The life of a billionaire was hard to someone who knew nothing of the elite world. No one knew how to handle the paparazzi, the reporters, or even the people of the elite world. 'To hot to handle' as they say, but in this sense, Daniel wasn't really talking about the elite' s facial features, more about their personalities.

Daniel knew that the people of his world were like grenades, say the wrong words and they'd explode, unleashing their wraths on the person who pulled the safety ring.

Daniel grabbed his phone and dialed a number.

"Mr. Winters."

"Is his family getting the funds?"

"Yes sir. Everything is under control."

"Good. Make sure everything stays that way until I say otherwise. Is that clear, John?"

"Yes, very clear, sir. His family will be taken care of, as they have been since you had me and my team guard them, Mr. Winters."

"Good, very good. I still expect those daily reports, John. Don't disappoint me."

"No sir. Never sir."

Daniel hung up the phone and tossed it on his desk. He leaned his elbow on desk and placed his hand under his chin. This was one of the few times where he was conflicted. He didn't know what to do about his little problem. He just knew that no one could find out about it. If it did, all the progress that William and Anna had made would be for nothing. The de Monte' s would then have William in their reach and they'd have won. *

Daniel wouldn't let that happen. He couldn't.

------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hi everybody! So? What do you all think? I'm sorry if some of you think this chapter was short, I just thought that this chapter should end there. It felt right. And I am really sorry about the daily, I've just had a major writer's block. But YAY, I posted!! So please...

VOTE and COMMENT!!

I appreciate every single one!!

THANK YOU!!

BYE!

-Raven Moon

©RavenMoon