Chapter Eight

What?!

You have got to be kidding me!

"I-I... No! William... it's fine! I could just find myself a hotel, or I could just go with Daniel-"

"Absolutely not! Anna, listen to me, you'll be bored out of your mind if you go with me and if you stay with William, you won't have to pay for a hotel room." I hate you, Daniel Winters. I just want to punch that over-smug smile of yours!

"Listen, William, I don't want to ruin any plans that you had for tonight. I don't want to burden you." I said, using any excuse to possible so that I wouldn't have to go with William.

William smirked at me and said, "Oh, you're not a burden."

"William, excuse us." Daniel turned to me and took my arm pulling us a safe distance away from his son. "Anna, what are you doing?!"

"Daniel, you can't make me go with him!"

"The hell I can! Remember," Daniel whispered menacingly into my ear, "who you are talking to! I can make your life and everyone else's close to you very difficult! And you will do everything he wants to do! And if a baby comes out of it, then it's all good. It'll make him marry you even faster, and I'll be a happy man, which means that your family will be safe.

"So spend the night with him. And make sure something comes out of it, whether it's a baby or just a kiss. Do I make myself clear?"

I couldn't speak. I was so overcome with hate for this man, that I just nodded my head, my limbs paralyzed. I had seriously thought that Daniel had forgotten about this deal, that he had changed his mind. But oh how wrong I was!

"Good. Now, gather yourself up, and make sure that William thinks everything is all right." I reined in all of my emotions, and tucked all of my feelings inside, hating this man more than ever for making me feel this way. I flashed Daniel a forced smile and curled my arm around his offered one.

"Hey, everything okay?" William asked once we walked back to him.

"Yeah, Daniel was just talking some sense into me. He said that I should enjoy a free bed, not a bought one while it's still offered to me." I hated how easy the lie came to me, and I hated how easily William believed it.

"That's good." He smiled and held out his hand. "Do you want to go now or can you survive for a few more hours?"

I quickly glanced at Daniel and he shook his head. I'm guessing he wants me to say that I wanted to go now. I sighed and shook my head, "Would you hate me if I said that I'm super tired and I wanted to go?"

I squinted my eyes and tilted my head for effect, and it worked like a charm.

"I could never hate you, Anna, just wait a few minutes while I say goodbye to a few people." I nodded, feigning gratefulness. Daniel smiled at me when I swiveled around to him.

"Well, I must be off, Anna. I've got *cough* business to attend to." I narrowed my eyes in suspicion and, finally, realization hit me.

I gasped and angrily muttered,"Oh, you filthy liar! You have no business to attend to! You just made that up so that I would go home with William!"

Daniel smiled mockingly and said, "Did I?"

Before I could answer though, he kissed my cheek and whispered into my ear, "Make me proud, Anna dear."

And with that, he strolled away into the crowd.

·~·

"Ready to go?" William said once he finished his goodbyes. Miss Fold had just arrived and was already mingling with the guests.

"Oh, gosh, yes!" Anna exclaimed, shooting up from the chair she was sitting on. Even though she had been sitting there for only a few minutes, she could feel her butt start to hurt from sitting on the stiff chair. One would think being rich meant buying comfortable chairs for your guests at least.

William laughed and gently pulled Anna away from her seat. He had never seen anyone like Anna Williams. At times, she seemed so carefree, like when they were dancing the night away, so close together. At other times, like when she was around his father or some other highly known politician or superstar, she was sophisticated and elegant and... he didn't know. Kind of... distant and cold. It was like she was two totally different people. It made William think and he decided to just ask her.

"Anna?" He asked, watching her from the corner of his eye. Anna turned toward him and smiled, making him catch his breath, forcing him to look away from her sparkling white teeth, blushing cheeks, and twinkling eyes.

"Yeah?"

"Are you bipolar?"

The question was so random and sudden, Anna choked on her spit. "What? What would make you think that?"

"I don't know. I just... you act differently when you're around me when comparing to the other guests at this ball." William shrugged, not really knowing how to put what he was thinking into words.

"Oh." She didn't think he'd notice, but she didn't want to explain to him was that he was her focal point, not the other guests at his father's ball. "I guess you just bring out the good in me."

William smiled at her but didn't reply, choosing just to pull her out of the room and out of the house, away from prying eyes. Those that consist of Claire de Monte and her father.

·~·

"I don't like that girl, Father. She's ruining everything." Claire snarled, glaring in the direction William and Anna were before they disappeared around the corner. *

Senator de Monte smiled ruefully at that direction also before looking at the witch that was his daughter. "I know, Claire, but there is nothing that I can do about it. He looks absolutely smitten."

The Senator knew that that comment would drive his daughter mad, and he was correct. She screeched and balled her hands into fists, yelling, "No! There has to be something you can do!" *

"Well, maybe not I, but maybe you."

Finally what her father was saying caught her mind. She thought of the one thing that would make sure that no woman ever went after William again. Ever. *

"Father, I need to go someplace. I'll call you to tell you what I've got on my mind tomorrow. In a month's time, the news will be out and William won't be able to do anything about it!"

The Senator smiled in the direction her daughter went in and shook his head, whatever his daughter was thinking would definitely make the rest of William Winters' life hell, but then it'd all work out for the de Monte' s later on.

He'd make sure of it.

---

Author's Note:

Edited: 03/23/18

Major Construction: Unknown - planning to make some major story changes.

Please remember to vote and comment! Thanks.

xoxo,

V