Chapter 45

Hello people! Look at this amazing cover Deisy Rodriguez made me! It's very pretty. Thank you very much to the person who made it! (I don't know your Wattpad username though!)

Now... on to the story!

•~•

RECAP:

She gave her hand out to Brittany to shake, but her arm started to tremble once being lift up.

Brittany furrowed her eyebrows in concern, "Claire, are you all right? You look a bit shaken..."

The truth was that Claire was far from all right. After returning home from rehab two days ago, her father thought it would be a splendid idea to reintroduce his daughter to the 'new and improved' Dark Room.

She was still recovering.

See, this time, her father made sure to tell his goons not to leave any marks where they are able to be seen, and to not break any bones. Though his father had most hospitals paid off, his daughter's growing list of broken bones and injuries seemed to be getting unwanted attention.

And Senator De Monte could not have that.

•~•

Claire rocked on the floor, her head on the arms, dried tears on her face. She had had the dream again. A baby was crying, but she couldn't find it anywhere in the house. She knew the baby needed her, but no matter where she searched, she couldn't find the child.

She hadn't had this dream in over three years, but now that it was back, she didn't know what to do. She just came back from rehab a few days ago, she couldn't let her father know that the dreams were back. He would make sure her stay there lasted longer.

Upon hearing footsteps nearing her bedroom, Claire carefully lifted herself up from the floor and hobbled to the bathroom as quickly as she could. Quietly shutting the door behind her and locking it, she stood in front of the mirror. Wiping her hands under her bloodshot eyes, Claire worked to remove the dried mascara trails.

Once her eyes were no longer red and her makeup was fixed, she figured that it was a good enough time to show herself to the person who had entered her room.

Stepping out, Claire immediately recognized the strawberry blonde girl. "Brittany, what are you doing here? How may I help you?"

Brittany quickly turned around, a box in her arms. "Oh, Miss Claire, I just came here to drop this box off. It was in the nursery's closet, and it's labeled Haley. I didn't know what to do with it, so I came here to drop it off."

Claire gasped and dropped her gaze to the box. That box still exists? I thought it had been thrown out years ago.

Bringing her gaze back up to Brittany, Claire gave her a smile so wide the strawberry blonde froze, wondering what exactly was happening. Claire said, "Thank you. For bringing this to me. Did you...?"

Brittany looked down, ashamed. "I did look through it if that is what you're wondering. I...uh...I didn't know that you had been pregnant, Miss Claire. Where is your child now?"

Claire tightened her grip on the box that had been given to her. 

"Dead," She murmured, her heart contracting painfully.

Brittany gasped, her hand on her stomach. "And...your husband?"

Claire squinted, her eyes once again watering up, pain echoing throughout her body. "Dead. Murdered," Claire took a few steps back and dumped her body on a chair, "It was a hit and run, but it wasn't an accident. My husband...was killed on impact. My unborn child, Haley, as we had named her, didn't survive. I was almost killed myself."