Chapter 43

Previously:

The phone cut out. There was no more signal. "NO! Damn it!" I knocked my head against the wall and handed the phone back to Charlotte. Oh, please, please let William call the police in time to get us out of here before something bad happens to us...

~

Charlotte and I paced in the small bathroom, my breath rapid and nervous. I wiped my hand across my forehead, wiping away the small formation of sweat formed.

It had barely been two minutes since my call with William cut out and now the room has gotten warmer. What? Were they gonna make us sweat to death? I can't tell whether that would be better or worse than what was in store for us.

Charlotte stood in corner, attempting the push the door open. "There has to be a way! There has to be a way out of here! We can't just let them take us."

I shook my head and stood next to her. "Of course not! We're going to make them fight for it. Like hell I'm just gonna cower in the corner like some coward as they take us away."

I braced my hands against the door and pushed, bringing my leg to try and kick the door as well. It was no use though; the door was super thick and wouldn't budge an inch.

This is so stupid. Damn it! How could I have let this happen? We should have gone someplace else, like Char said we should.

I took a step back and slid down the disgusting wall. Charlotte did the same, no longer seeing the point in fighting the fortress of a door.

"Charlotte?" I whispered, staring ahead at the grimy mirror.

"Yeah?" She whispered back.

"Do you think, that if we hadn't come here, they would have trapped some other people instead?" I leaned my head back against the wall and turned to her. She sighed and closed her eyes before replying, "Ah, possibly. I guess you could say...we saved their lives."

I gave a weak laugh. "Yeah, I guess so. I better go to heaven for this."

"Hah. Same." Charlotte grabbed my hand and held onto it tightly. "Anna? What do you think will happen to us if we don't get out of here?"

It was my turn to sigh before I answered and said, "I don't know, Char, I really don't---"

Shhhhhhhhhhh. Shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Charlotte's head popped up and looked around. "What in the bloody hell is that?"

I looked around as well and a pipe caught my eye. It was oozing some type of white smoke. "Char? I think...it's coming from there..."

I stood up and attempted to take a step, but stumbled, catching myself on the wall. I coughed and rubbed my eyes, my vision becoming hazy. "Shit...I think... it's..."

I fell down to my knees and coughed again, before falling to my side. My heart and breathing slowed. I could no longer move any of my muscles. What's happening? I can't...

The door swung open.

I closed my eyes. Darkness hugged me close.*

~~~

"Anna? Anna, sweetheart? Can you hear me? I love you so much. Please wake up..."

I'm trying.

"Miss Williams, I sincerely hope you do not plan to run away from your troubles by staying asleep. It will be of no help to you. Please...wake up soon."

I want to.

"Anna, oh my sweet baby, look at you! Look how pale you are. What has this family done to you? Why? Why have you not told me that you were getting married? How could you keep all this from me? I'm your mother, and yet---" Mom!