Chapter 34

Charlotte sat on her bed and observed Anna as she explored around her room, playing with a glass knick-knack.

As Anna was about to walk into the enormous walk-in closet, Charlotte stood up and placed the figurine back on the table.

"What are you hiding from my brother?" She said, crossing her arms. Anna froze, her hand out to reach the closet door handle.

She forced a little laugh and turned to Charlotte. "What are you talking about? I'm not hiding anything."

Charlotte rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Don't give me that crap, Anna. What are you hiding from my brother?"

John, Anna thought, he-he must have said something to her about-

"And don't tell me that bloody pathetic story about how you had to give up your child when you were eighteen. I know all about that."

Suddenly the room started spinning and Anna leaned against the door. "What-? How do you know about that?"

"I'm not as naïve as my big brother, William. I don't instantly trust every person I meet.

"When I heard that Will had a new girlfriend, I immediately had you investigated. Oh... don't give me that bloody look. If you want to be one of us, then you have to learn that you can't trust anyone... Anyways... I brought up all your old medical records and found out that you had been pregnant, and gave that baby up for adoption as soon as you could. Besides that you were clean, except for the time you filed an assault charge against a so-called Ryan Terrena, who also happened to be your baby daddy."

Anna shook her head in shock. Charlotte... Charlotte knew about her from the start, and...yet...she hadn't cared. So, what could she be talking about now?

"I don't know what else you want me to tell you. You already know my whole life story." Anna said, rubbing a hand under her throat, feeling as if she was about to pass out.

"No. I know everything that happened up until two months ago...when you first met my father. Now... tell me the secret you and my father are keeping from my brother."

~

William glanced at his watch. "It's been a long time since the girls have been gone. Are you sure they're okay?"

Charles glanced at William and shrugged his shoulders, burrowing his head further into a pillow.

Daniel sighed and said, "I'm sure they're fine, William. Charlotte is probably just giving Anna the grand tour of the house. Something you, I'm positive, haven't done yet."

William glared at his father and swirled his wine. "Oh, you want to talk about something you haven't done yet?"

"No."

"You haven't yet told me what the hell that talk was about earlier!"

"It doesn't matter! It worked, didn't it?"

William sneered and said, "Sure. But you forced me to do something I didn't want to do then."

"What do you mean? You didn't want to propose to Anna?" A disbelieving look crossed Daniel's face as he took his eldest son in, observing as Will angrily looked at the carpet.

"Of course I did! But I didn't want to do it there, or then! I wanted to do it when the time was right, when I everything I wanted was planned and set up."

Daniel gave a dark laugh. "Oh, don't give me that poetic crap, William. I raised you better then that."

"You raised me? You raised me? Don't give me that shít, Father. As soon as mom died you shoved me into the hands of several nurses and nannies! You even sent Charles and Charlotte off to live with our grandmother, who lived in England, because you couldn't stand to be near them! So don't you dare give me that crap about you raising me, or us. Right, Charles?"

William turned to where Charles was sitting, expecting to find his brother huddling into the couch, yet finding an empty space and a crumpled pillow.

"Charles?" He turned back to his father. "Where'd Charles go?"

Daniel sighed and gulped down the scotch he had served himself. "Don't know. You probably scared him off when you started yelling. You know he doesn't like confrontations of any kind."

William rubbed his hand against his forehead and nodded his head, standing up. "That's right. That's right. I'm, uh, I'm going to go find him. I want to make sure he's okay."

Daniel shook his head and pointed back at the couch. "Nuh-uh. Sit back down. He probably went to go find your sister. You know she calms him down when he gets scared. He'll be fine."

~

Charles' hands shook as he walked along the hallway. His body twitched and he moved to the wall, taking deep breaths.

It's okay. It's okay. Nothing is going to hurt you. Everything is fine. You're okay, I promise.

His sister's voice rang through his mind, sending a calming aura over him. Charles took another deep breath before pulling away from the wall.

You can do this, he thought. Just make it to Charlotte, and you'll be fine.

~~~~~

Author's Note:

And that's it, ladies and gentlemen!! See, it's not that short was it? And it was only a few days after I updated Chapter 33!!

So? How was it? You have a little more insight on the relationship between Charles and Charlotte, and little details about the talk between Daniel and William. Oh! And the big biggie: Charlotte knows that Anna had a baby when she was a teenager, and she wants to know what else Anna's hiding!

Now the question is...will Charlotte find out and tell William? Or will she keep quiet?

I don't know... The only way you'll find out is if you read the next chapter: Chapter 35.

Anyways... Please remember to VOTE AND COMMENT!!!

THANK YOU!!!

BYE!!!

©RavenMoon06

-RavenMoon

P.s. please tell me if there were any grammar or punctuation errors please. Thanks again!!! :)