Chapter 36

Charlotte cuddled into Charles side as Anna watched them. She now understood their relationship.

Charlotte was the protector. Charles was a victim of anxiety attacks. They were always together because she helped calm him down when he started feeling ill. She was his savior.

"I'm sorry," William said, leaning forward from where he sat. "I shouldn't have started yelling. I should have been mindful of you. I'm sorry, Charles."

"It's fine," Charles said, his voice just barely above a whisper, "I have to learn to get used to it. Or, at least, try to control myself. Charlotte can't always be there to protect me."

Anna blinked in shock. That was the longest sentence she's ever heard him utter.

"This time," Charlotte replied, "I'm glad I was there. Anna too. Who knows what could have happened if we hadn't been there? All the servants left for Christmas."

Charles visibly shivered and grabbed his sister's hand.

"Speaking of Christmas, we have about an hour to go till midnight. Does anybody have any games we can play?" Daniel said, ruffling his youngest son's hair. Charles whined and tried moving away, but his father continued anyway.

Anna smiled at the pair and raised her hand. "I know a game."

William grinned and wrapped an arm around his fiance. "Oh, yeah? What?"

"It's a bit childish. We used to all play when we were kids, I'm sure, but it was a fun game. Hide-and-Seek, remember?"

William tilted his head to the side in confusion. "Hide-and-Seek? How do you play that?"

Anna's jaw dropped. "What? You don't know how to play Hide-and-Seek?" She turned to the twins who shook their heads as well.

"Unbelievable. Now we have to play."

~

Anna grabbed William's hand as they darted out of the family room. They turned one way and the twins the other way. Out of majority rule, Daniel was chosen to be It, and everyone decided that the game should only be kept to that story of the house.

"Ten! Nine! Eight!"

Anna pulled William harder and ducked into one of the rooms. It was a bedroom. She fell to her knees and she checked under the bed, only to be blocked be drawers.

"Damn!" She said, standing back up. William opened a door and found a bare closet. "Um...we could hide in here?"

Anna shook her hand. "No. Too obvious. Come on! We have to find an office!"

This time, William grabbed her hand and led her outside, running to a door at the end of the hallway.

"Three! Two! One!"

He pulled open the door and softly shut it as they entered.

"Ready or not, here I come!!!" Faintly, they heard Daniel cuss. "I sound like a child!"

Anna stifled her laugh and stumbled around in the room. She bumped into a desk and cursed as something glass fell. William wrapped his arms around her waist and chuckled, putting his head to her neck.

At the other side of the hallway, they heard Charlotte yell and laugh.

"One down! Three to go! I'm coming for you!"

William placed his lips on Anna's neck, and she could feel his hot breath. She trembled and turned in his hold. He softly caressed her lips with his own, and moved his hands underneath her pajama shirt.