Chapter 41

"How do you feel...about having the wedding in January?"

William froze, then smiled. "That sounds splendid. We have whole year to prepare for then."

"Ah..." I said, grabbing his hand, "No...not a year...a month..."

William laughed and tightened his grip. "That's funny. No one can set up a wedding in a month. Not one as grand as ours will be anyway."

"Grand? What do you mean grand? I thought it was going to be family only."

"Oh, you're so cute, Anna. Of course it's not family only! We're getting married; everyone's gonna know and everyone's gonna be there. I want them  to celebrate with us, sweetheart." William hugged me around my waist and I nestled my head under his neck, feeling the thump-thump-thump of his heart.

"Just how many people are we talking here? 100? 150?...200...?" His heartbeat calmed me down somewhat, but in no way did that calm my poor heart when I heard his answer. 

"Around 500."

I pulled back harshly and let out a noise, bringing my hand to my mouth. "Five hundred?!? Are you insane?! I don't even know that many people!"

"Anna, Anna...calm down. It's fine!" He reassured, reaching forward and sliding his hands up and down my arm. "I know that you know how big our family name is. We're like royalty here. We're not big enough to have cameras there, but the people are expecting many pictures and photos of the wedding. We also have many allies and acquaintances we need there to prove our alliance. So, basically, about only 100 people are friends and family. The other four hundred are just business.

"Do you see now why having a wedding in a month is impossible?"

I pulled on my lip with my teeth, my frustration coming out. The wedding had to happen in a month or it'll all be for not.

"I heard the word impossible. Care to explain what is?"

I turned toward the doorway, seeing  Daniel shaking off his umbrella from the rain outside. He smiled at me then looked at his son. "Well?"

"Anna wants to have the wedding next month, Father. I'm trying to explain to her why it's impossible for us to do that. Can you persuade her please? I don't-"

"I think that's a splendid idea!"

William spun around so quick he looked like a blur. "What?  Dad! How could you think this is a good idea!"

"Why is it not a good idea? We're the Winters! We don't need months and months of planning; we could just snap our fingers and make it happen. It's fine." Daniel looked toward me and raised an eyebrow, before glancing back at his son. "Unless...moving the wedding closer is making you have second thoughts about marrying Anna...?"

William widened his eyes and shook his head. "How could you think that? Of course not! I love Anna, and should a curse be placed on me that I would die should I marry her, I still would!" Will turned to me and took my hands. "Anna, my dear, never think I don't love you because I do. I do, truly. I'm just wondering how we can carter so many people in only a few weeks."

I smiled, even though my heart broke just a teeniest bit, and squeezed his hands. "I know. I love you too, but as your father said; you're the Winters. You could make the impossible, possible."

Will cracked a half smile and looked at his father. "Is this really happening then? Am I really getting married in a month?" Nervousness and excitement oozed out of William.