Chapter Twenty-Two

I woke up to an arm wrapped around my naked waist. I slowly shifted in William's arms and stared at his face. He looked so innocent, so-

"Good morning."

I shrieked and backed out of his arms. I overestimated how big my bed was and landed on butt, my head following after, giving a nice, satisfying crack.

"OW!"

William popped his head over the edge and gave me an innocent smile. "Well... that's a pretty picture."

"What?"

He nodded down at my body. I looked down and shrieked again. I was full on naked. Lying on the floor.

I grabbed a pillow that was thrown to the ground and swung it forward, catching William off guard, hitting him on the head. I wretched the sheet off the bed and wrapped it around my body. William pouted and sat up, rubbing his head dramatically.

"Well... you're no fun."

I raised an eyebrow and looked around the room. "I'm not? I could have sworn I was last night...Hmm. How odd."

William scowled at me and said, "You know what I meant."

I laughed and nodded my head, "I know what you meant. I'm just teasing you, baby."

Will raised an eyebrow at the nickname but didn't say anything. I smiled a little before walking into the bedroom.

~

Coming out of the bedroom, I smelled and heard the sound of sizzling eggs and bacon. Tying my robe's sash around my waist, I shuffle into the kitchen. Seeing William leaning on my counter, scrambling eggs, I tiptoe over to him. I wrap my arms around his waist and nuzzle my face in between his shoulder blades.

"Hi." I whispered.

William chuckled and whispered hi back.

"What do you want to eat? I made pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon-"

"Wait..." I pulled back and looked at William, "I thought you didn't know how to cook."

William laughed and shook his head. "You assumed I didn't know how to cook."

I scowled and looked at the food, "If you know how to cook then why are you only eating toast before going to work?"

He shrugged and looked back at the eggs, turning off the stove and taking the pan off. "Didn't want to bother with it. It's too much work at six in the morning, and I'm only cooking for myself so..."

I nodded, understanding.

William put the pan of eggs on the counter. He clapped his hands together and rubbed his hands on the little apron his was wearing.

I cracked a smile at the apron and pulled him to me by it. I pecked his lips lightly and smiling afterward. I looked up at his eyes and said, "Thank you for doing this....and thank you for believing in me."

Suddenly a guilty look flashed across William's face. "Anna... I have to tell you something. I-"

I put my finger over his lips and shushed him. "It doesn't matter, William, I know. And I forgive you... I kind of... have a guess on why you did it."

William looked like he wanted to say more, but I shook my head, signaling that there was nothing left to be said.

"Fine. Let's... let's just have a good breakfast...and relax all day today. We deserve it for all that we've been through these past few days."

I nodded and sat on a stool, watching as William set up our plates.

•~•

"Did it work?"