Chapter Twenty-Nine

When you see this * please go down to the Author's note~~~~thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~••••••~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To say I was nervous was an understatement.

I was beyond terrified.

By what William told me, the Winter Christmas Ball was the most exciting event of the year. Almost every year, at least two scandalous occurrences happened.

The Christmas Ball was almost canceled this year because the twins, Charlie and Charlotte Winters, William's younger siblings, wouldn't have been able to make it. Apparently, they decided to reschedule their other affair in order to come because they heard about William's new girlfriend, meaning me.

I've never seen the twins, but I've heard that they were the complete opposites of William, both physically and emotionally. Charlie and Charlotte had light brown hair and eyes that were blue-green, nothing like the darkness of William's features. The twins were always energetic and excited, while William...was not. Not all the time anyways.

We had stopped in front of Winter's Manor, and William was waiting for me to gather my courage.

"My love," he said, "You've done this before. You can do it again."

I shook out my hands and swayed my body a little bit, trying to relieve my body of the tension inside it.

"I know. I know. It's just...ugh. Nevermind! Let's go, before I lose my nerve."

William smiled and held out his hand to tug me out of the car, catching me before I smashed into his chest. I wacked him in the shoulder, causing him to snicker and hold me tightly.

"You're not very nice, you know?" I said, trying to escape his grasp. William chuckled into my neck and brushed my hair away from my shoulder.

"That's not what you said last night."

"Oh, shut up!"

"Make me."

"Oh, I otta-" I was ready to punch him again when a servant in a plain white dress and apron stepped away from Winter's Manor's open front doors. "Mister Winters, Miss, will you please enter? Your father awaits you."

Butterflies attacked my stomach once again, giving me the urge to throw up. Not even William's calming touch calmed me down.

"My love...seems we have no choice. We must enter."

I nodded and took a deep breath. Smiling, I whispered to him, "You are much more patient than your father, and I am thankful for that. Thank you."

William laughed and helped me up the steps, making sure I didn't step on my dress. "Be grateful. My siblings...they were not as fortunate as me. They carry on most after my father. He is...the only parent they've ever known."

Trying to deviate from where that conversation was leading, I said, "What can you tell me about the twins? So that I am prepared and won't be blindsided by anything."

William hummed, then replied, "Well, Charlotte is very forward and won't hesitate to tell you anything to your face, hurtful or not. Charles is...quiet and tells Charlotte everytime she's done or said something wrong, like a protector. He's very observent, and nothing goes by him. Together...they're almost like Ying and yang, believe it or not. The good and the bad of one person. And..."

"What?"

"Well...they like to be scandalous. When they appear...don't be horrified, alright? It's just an act. The twins like to appear like an incestuous couple."*