Chapter Thirteen

De Monte Manor

Senator de Monte's Study

"So what do you think of my plan, Father?" *

Senator de Monte smiled and nodded his head. His daughter was getting smarter. "I think it's a brilliant plan, darling. It's just... how are you going to prove it?"

"Father, I don't need to prove it. Obviously it'll be someone he recognizes, and the timing would have to be right or else it won't work." At Senator de Monte's narrowing gaze, Claire answered hastily, "But it will, Father. Obviously it will. We're the de Monte's after all."

The Senator smiled at his daughter's answer. "That we are, my dear. That we are."

He got up and walked around his desk. Claire looked at him anxiously and scoot a bit back in her chair. He roughly caught her chin in his hand when she started to turn her head away from him. He put his lips next to her ear and whispered menacingly, "And don't forget it. Remember... if you get caught, Daddy won't be there to save you. None of the de Monte's, none of your 'friends', not even your mother's soul, will be there to save you."

The Senator quickly let go of Claire's chin and stood up, brushing off his wrinkle-free suit. He bent down again and pressed a quick kiss to his daughter's head and said, "I'll leave you to it then. Goodbye."

Once Senator de Monte out of ear-shot, Claire let out a sigh of relief. She grasped the arms of the chair to stop them from shaking and blinked back tears. Claire let out a hollow laugh and stood up, balling her hands into fists. She let out a shaky breath and whispered, "You are a de Monte, and de Monte's don't cry. They don't ask anyone for help. They don't show their emotions. They don't get caught."

Claire's father had taught her that when she was just seven years old. So far, out of everyone in the de Monte family, only the rebels, which were few, didn't follow the rules. She didn't know any of the rebels because once they broke too many of the rules, they were cast out, never to be heard of again. Rebels couldn't take anything with them, and weren't allowed to take their money. They were not to have anything that were meant for the de Monte's.

"Don't get caught, Claire, because if you do, no one will be there to save you. Do whatever you want to do, just don't let me hear about it." Was what her Father said when she was still a kid. A kid who wanted nothing else but her father's affection. Her father's love and acceptance... *

"Don't get caught, " Claire whispered.

$$$$$♦♦♦♦♦$$$$$♦♦♦♦♦$$$$$♦♦♦♦♦= ☺☺☺☺☺☺....................................................................

Anna's Apartment

The Day After the de Monte Talk

Anna was still reeling after her talk with Daniel. She hadn't talked to anyone all day except the little mouse that she had found on the balcony. She took him in and fed him a little cheese. The little mouse fell asleep a few moments after, cuddled up in her hand. Anna was carrying the little mouse to an empty shoe box when the door bell rang. She wasn't expecting anyone. *

Anna cuddled the little mouse in her hand closer to her chest and quietly walked to the door so as to not wake up her new pet. She opened up the door and gasped. "William!"

William smiled at her and winked, "Hello, my dear."

"Wha... What are you doing here? I wasn't expecting you!"

William nodded and held out a single white rose. Anna took the rose with the hand that wasn't carrying her mouse and smiled gratefully.

"I know, but I haven't spoken to you all day. You're not busy, are you?"

Anna blinked and shook her head. "Oh, gosh, no. Please, come in!" She swung her door open and took a step back. William ducked a little in order to get under the door and surveyed her apartment.

He walked around and nodded. "Thank you." William twirled his hand around, and smiled, "This is so you. I like it."

Anna walked to an empty vase and put the flower in. She had to remember to put water in it later. She swiveled around, hearing what he'd said. She put her hand on her hip, cocked it, and rose an eyebrow. "And how do you think that this is so me?"

"Because I know you, Anna." He strolled toward her smugly and stood in front of her.

"Oh yeah? You've barely known me for two days."

"Hmm, " William whispered, taking one step forward. He placed his hand on her hips, taking her hands and squeezing them a little bit. A sqeak escaped from her hand. William jumped and took a big step back. Anna gasped and opened her hand. Little Mouse sqeaked again and ran up her arm, hiding in her blouse. William gave a manly shriek and stood up on her couch, pointing at her shoulder. "You... you know you... you have a mouse in your shirt!!" *

Anna gave him a weird look, as if saying 'duh.' "Uh... I know."

"Why... why do you have a mouse?"

Anna looked at Little Mouse and shrugged, petting his fur through her shirt. "I found him outside, frightened to death on the balcony. I named him Little Mouse cause... you know, he's little, and a mouse."

"But why do you have it?!?"

"I liked him," Anna then realized that William must have had something important to say if he came all the way over here for it, "And, uh, what exactly was it that you came over here for?"

William looked like he was about to have a panic attack, but his expression changed when he caught the amused look on Anna's face. He coughed into his fist and shook his head. "Uh, right."

"Anna, will you go on a date with me?"

Anna gasped and held a hand to her heart. This was sort of unexpected. I guess this means Daniel's plan is working. And quickly.

"I... yes!! I would love to!"

William smiled and nodded. "Great. I'll pick you up in... two hours? How does that sound?"

Anna nodded and smiled. "That sounds about right."

"I'll see you later then..." William winked at her and left.

Anna breathed a sigh of relief. She was starting to like the guy, but still felt weird about it. Daniel did practically pay her to fall in love with his son. Anna didn't know how to feel about that. It felt kind of... wrong...

-----------

Author's Note:

I'm sorry. This one was kind of a filter and short, but I needed him to ask her out. And Little Mouse?? There's a story behind William's fear of mice. You'll find out about that later. Way later, when... oops can't let that one go just yet. 

(Edit 2016. Nope. Nope. Don't listen to me. There is no reason other than William thinks mice = rats and he doesn't like that. I had a whole little thing planned out for his reason behind being scared of Little Mouse, but I realized that it wouldn't fit into the story plot because the plot gets a whole lot thicker. Trust me.)

So? What do you all think??? Please remember to...

VOTE and COMMENT!!!

It means a lot to me!!

Thank you!!!

Bye!!

-RavenMoon

© RavenMoon06